Which setup floats your boat most?

Which setup floats your boat most?

• 2-stroke, frame-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-stroke, rack-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
.....But I don't understand a positive to rack-mounting.......

Rack Mount = 1 hour Build
Rack Mount = Simple Simple Simple loosen 2 bolts and remove one and the whole thing is off.
Simple = Reliable.
I like simple...

And I definitely take that as a compliment. That's a pretty sweet lil' clip... I love how toward the end of it, he found a cookie and was mumbling "I got the cookie, I got the cookie" while there were more important things to be worrying about.

HAMMY GRNDSLM , GREAT COMPARISON !!! On the mark Sabrewalt.How long will this go on?

grndslm,

Glad you take some of this with humor. We may beat on you a little but it's only cause we luv ya.

I like the rack mount for many reasons.

If anything blows up or catches fire it won't burn me.

There is nothing in the way of the pedals.

If I wanted to remove it the whole thing could be off the bicycle in less than fifteen minutes.

I like the belt drive because it can be disconnected easily for pedal only motivation.

I bought a two-stroke motor for a couple of reasons and one is that it doesn't require valve adjustments. If I knew how to do valve adjustments and had easy access to the necessary parts I would like a four stroke.

Another benefit of the two-stroke motor is that it can be positioned in many ways which means no worrying about oil seeping into the wrong part of the cylinder. This means that I can hang my bicycle up on a hook and not worry about oil problems.

One down side to the two stroke motor is that the oil and gasoline mixture gets blown into the intake area. This means that if you need to keep the bicycle indoors the fumes from the fuel mixture will be very strong inside the room. This makes me keep my bicycle on my outdoor patio. Fortunately I live in a second floor apartment with my own private covered patio where no thieves can get to it.

If anything blows up or catches fire it won't burn me.
Rack-mounted it is!! Wonder if this has happened to someone else before...

I like the belt drive because it can be disconnected easily for pedal only motivation.
Pretty nice... I guess those GEBE belts really don't break/slip often do they? I hope not, 'cause I'm getting closer and closer to buying a kit (and engine) from them...

...Another benefit of the two-stroke motor is that it can be positioned in many ways which means no worrying about oil seeping into the wrong part of the cylinder. This means that I can hang my bicycle up on a hook and not worry about oil problems.
I don't plan to be throwing my bike around, but if I were trying to fit it in my car... are you saying a 4-stroke couldn't be positioned in any way necessary to fit? If this is the case, I might have to go with a rack-mounted 2-stroke.

Thank you VERY much for your informative post, Smallwheels! These were just the types of differences I was searching for.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend tells me otherwise, that oil can still get in the carb... something along the lines of that. If I were to turn the bike upside down, the 4-stroke would still crank up as normal?

I dunno how many times I'm gonna have the bike upside down, but it'd be nice to know that it's capable of handling the pain.

I started communicating with the Golden Eagle company a couple of years before making my purchase. On one of those phone calls I spoke with someone other than Julia or Dennis. I was telling the guy about how I would be using the bicycle and how I might be storing it. He was helping me to select the best motor for my intended uses. I asked if hanging it from a ceiling using one wheel would be a problem. He said that with a two stroke it didn't matter but I shouldn't do that with the four stroke engine. I don't have this in writing and I don't have a manual that says a four stroke motor should not be stored in a certain position.

This is a question to ask of an engineer familiar with these motors.

4 stroke has a vent tube in the crankcase, usually around the lifter cover. If positioned wrong, oil would run out the vent.

Back