Which setup floats your boat most?

Which setup floats your boat most?

• 2-stroke, frame-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-stroke, rack-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know all about this,that's what lead me to the Staton NuVinci setup in the first place, regrettably I don't think this setup is mechanically feasible with internal gear hubs,like for instance the Shimano Nexis hubs, as I have pointed out before.So that leaves us only with NuVinci.I must confess to be a bit leery of a friction based design,instead of gears meshing,but I have taken the plunge and ordered one.People have reported that when they took a box apart that the gears were running dry because the moly grease gets thrown off the gearwheels, which is hardly surprising at 6000 plus rpm.Gear oil might be better,but if it leaks out you have a mess on your hands.Staton Inc vouches for it's durability : they say they will replace a wornout unit.Personally I have not yet had any direct experience with it (but am about to find out soon) and I certainly don't mean to badmouth the Staton gearbox.Their guarantee must mean something,JJ

The input gear is the only place that grease gets thrown off, you can mix 3 oz. of 90 wt. gear oil into the grease to make it flow better. Staton makes good products, they have been referred to on this forum as "bullet proof", I'm running a 4.2 hp, 11,000 rpm motor through my box with no ill effects and a top end of 42 mph without multi speed gearing.

Nuvinci sounds good and David has made a large business investment in it's success, he has been testing for awhile and design changes have resulted. One of the best features of the Staton design, aside from exceptional reliability, is his use of freewheels in his chain drives. The left side freewheel allows peddling without any drag from the drive unit, something unique in this world. The Nuvinci will have slightly more drag as you will be turning the drive sprocket and chain but I doubt it will be very noticeable. A very minor trade for multi speed gearing.

I'm also running a TLE43, great engine, super quite, reliable, good service record, with the Nuvinci, it will be all the performance you'll ever need.

Keep us informed of your progress, setup will take a little while but you will have bugs on your teeth in no time.

Good luck,
Kerf

Thank you for the tip,I will give that a try,40 mph is scary,how good are your brakes ?,remember stopping distance increases with speed squared !
JJ

The End

This poll is over! If someone else wants to copy this poll for the future and not put a time limit, be my guest.

Anyway, just for wiggles and giggles, the final tally of this 42 person poll was:

Chain-driven -- 74%
Belt-driven --- 26%

2-stroke -- 50%
4-stroke -- 50%

Frame-mounted -- 86%
Rack-mounted --- 14%

Pretty neat stuff to me. It's amazing to me that the major landslide victory was for frame-mounted bikes... esp. all the 4-stroke, frame-mounted responses. I guess 9 times outta 10, people would prefer frame-mounted if possible. I'm prolly just amazed by that because I'm not interested in a regular cruiser or MTB frame. =-/

you know what you got? an accurate micro-shot of our demographics...anyone who read read reads the forum could know what you now know, and in a small fraction of the time.

if anyone ever posts another "what do you like best" poll, it will be immediately deleted...this notice will remain as warning.

do your own darn homework.

maybe you need to start a myspace or something...do not trifle any further with our productive environment!

Back