Which way does this nut turn?

Even if it's fairly chewed up there are fairly easy ways to fix/get around it. Gears are usually less than $20 afaik, if the shaft's keyway is shot a centrifugal clutch kit ($50 on ebay) uses an adapter sleeve that is friction fit and doesn't require a keyway but it'll require a wide crankset and feels like it saps power when taking off.

Well the good news is, bike is fixed. The drive gear pulled right off and no woodruff key on the shaft. But, there was one sitting in the bottom of the housing. Before this discovery a buddy of mine tightened the crap out of the screw with a screwdriver and hammer. Bike rode but was really jerky, lurchy. I wonder if the woodruff key was out this whole time and only a miracle kept it from getting caught up in the gears. Maybe that is the scoring on the clutch pads... The shaft is full of wear from the gear spinning. Anyways, it is all back together now. And test drive seemed good. Night is upon me so I'll be testing more tomorrow. Hoping now I'll have time to get my transplant finished this weekend.

Big thanks to all of you for helping so much!

Back