White smoke when starting up? Smells like gas?

Emcee

Local time
7:31 AM
So I am one tank through on my china girl. I only got around 35 miles to the half gallon.

I adjusted the idle adjuster because my bike would stall when the clutch was pulled in when I would. I do have a rough start until it warms up, almost like it is hesitating. I then open the choke and eventually it rides smooth.

To "warm it up" do you turn it on and then just let it idle for two minutes, open the choke and then ride? Or turn it on, ride it then after two minutes turn the choke on. Don't know which one is better and don't want to harm the engine.

I noticed that when I start the bike for the first five minutes I have smoke pouring out the exhaust. It's not thick but it goes away after five minutes when I start riding. The smoke smells like gas. I also have thick black stuff coming out the exhaust.

Is this smoke correlated to the idle adjustment and with the poor mpg, is this anything that can be adjusted with the C clip? I'm running 24:1 Lucas.

Personally I warm mine up riding gently for a few minutes. Keep in mine my is broken in completely and yours probably isn't. It took 2 tanks for me to completely break in. And before it was broken it and you properly tune the carb, it was fairly hard to start. About 100 or 150feet of pedaling before it would start probably and run on it's own. Now that it's broken it in starts almost immediately.

TLDR You're still in the break in period. Give it another tank.

Could be that the carburetor needle and seat are leaking, causing fuel to accumulate in the bottom end of the engine, causing the excess smoke and poor running. The stuff coming out of the exhaust is called "spooge" and a little is fine but an excess amount means it's running rich.

I am going to have to second a problem with the carburetor on this one. You are dumping wayyyy too much fuel into the engine. I am honestly surprised it is running well enough to ride. Either the needle clip popped out or the float needle isn't sealing and overfilling the bowl and it is just pouring it down the intake.

With the temps in the 80s +++, you don't need to choke it at all. I just jump on and ride, take it easy for a km and then go.
it's about the same for me. don't even need choke she just starts right up. take an easy ride for a few minutes then she likes to purr.

this is of course because my engine is broken in. OPs is not. so it's hard to say. these engines can do weird things before they're broken in.

Could be that the carburetor needle and seat are leaking, causing fuel to accumulate in the bottom end of the engine, causing the excess smoke and poor running. The stuff coming out of the exhaust is called "spooge" and a little is fine but an excess amount means it's running rich.
So I took apart my old carb so I can get familiar with the parts. By the needle, you mean the needle with the c clip on it? Should I move the c clip so it stops dumping so much fuel?

Also what is the seat?

If I am understanding you right, will this come down to adjusting the C clip? My c clip has four notches (I know some have five) I just don't know what moving it in each direction what it does. I know the c clip plays a role in it running rich or lean, I just don't know what direction I would go.

If it's white smoke, im assuming it's gas because oil is bluish smoke if I remember right.

With the temps in the 80s +++, you don't need to choke it at all. I just jump on and ride, take it easy for a km and then go.
Do you notice performance difference with choke on or off? I can ride it with choke off but the performance is better

Back