White smoke when starting up? Smells like gas?

Choke on is literally just for starting cold. More vacuum = more fuel pulled through. For starting. If you have to ride with the choke on you have other issues.

Choke on is literally just for starting cold. More vacuum = more fuel pulled through. For starting. If you have to ride with the choke on you have other issues.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Choke on is when it's down and off is up? I have the stock NT carb that comes with the kits.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Choke on is when it's down and off is up? I have the stock NT carb that comes with the kits.
Consider yourself corrected...lol

Choke is on when it is in the up postion.

Choke is off when the lever is down.

You want it down when you are warmed up and running around town...You only need the choke in the up position at the most for one minute is all, I do not even need it to start a bike in summertime temps.

So I took apart my old carb so I can get familiar with the parts. By the needle, you mean the needle with the c clip on it? Should I move the c clip so it stops dumping so much fuel?

Also what is the seat?

If I am understanding you right, will this come down to adjusting the C clip? My c clip has four notches (I know some have five) I just don't know what moving it in each direction what it does. I know the c clip plays a role in it running rich or lean, I just don't know what direction I would go.

If it's white smoke, im assuming it's gas because oil is bluish smoke if I remember right.
That needle is the needle jet valve. The needle and seat is under the float bowl. You can look up pictures to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. You should be able to find info about the nt carb, they have been discussed a lot.

I wouldn't bother messing with adjusting the needle jet until you know the carb is working and doesn't have any leaks. But moving the clip down, so the clip is closer to the tapered point of the needle will make it sit higher up in the slide which allows MORE fuel through. Clip down = richer, clip up = leaner.

Consider yourself corrected...lol

Choke is on when it is in the up postion.

Choke is off when the lever is down.

You want it down when you are warmed up and running around town...You only need the choke in the up position at the most for one minute is all, I do not even need it to start a bike in summertime temps.
Ok that makes sense. When I think of choke I think of literally choking, having it up chokes the carb because air can't get through. Choke off is to be able to have air coming through.

If I have the choke on 100% it will start, I've had it not unless it's open 20% I usually ride for a minute or two mins max then turn off the choke.

That needle is the needle jet valve. The needle and seat is under the float bowl. You can look up pictures to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. You should be able to find info about the nt carb, they have been discussed a lot.

I wouldn't bother messing with adjusting the needle jet until you know the carb is working and doesn't have any leaks. But moving the clip down, so the clip is closer to the tapered point of the needle will make it sit higher up in the slide which allows MORE fuel through. Clip down = richer, clip up = leaner.
So I've been online looking for this part called "seat" and there is nothing on it. Is it called something else? I opened the carb up and I see

1. Round white piece in the bowl
2. I flip it over and see this metal clip that has two ends that stick out.
3. Gasket

You can look up pictures to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. You should be able to find info about the nt carb, they have been discussed a lot.
So I've been online looking for this part called "seat" and there is nothing on it. Is it called something else? I opened the carb up and I see
This may be of help to understand the NT type carburetors...This also applies to the JRL BoFeng carby as well since it is based on the NT, just much improved is all.

3. Gasket
You're getting warmer.

See pic #6.

Float Needle Seat.JPG

This may be of help to understand the NT type carburetors...This also applies to the JRL BoFeng carby as well since it is based on the NT, just much improved is all.

Yah hah.

Ok that makes sense. When I think of choke I think of literally choking, having it up chokes the carb because air can't get through. Choke off is to be able to have air coming through.

If I have the choke on 100% it will start, I've had it not unless it's open 20% I usually ride for a minute or two mins max then turn off the choke.

3. Gasket
The seat is in the emulsion tube under the main jet it's what the needle goes into I think anyway

The seat is in the emotion tube under the main jet it's what the needle goes into I think anyway
Sorry, the seat is for the float needle not the METERING needle. When the fuel goes into the bowl the float rises until the float needle blocks off the flow through the seat, once the engine consumes the fuel in the bowl through the main jet and metering needle then the float drops and the flow resumes again. In engine terms it's a constant flow, so if you have a float, float needle, or seat issue it can throw the whole running off.

Back