White wire lighting system

Status
Not open for further replies.
All -

Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) x Current (amps)

So, if the magneto outputs 6W at 6V, the maximum output current you can draw is 1A.

Why do I mention this? Because the power of a lamp is directly related to the brightness. It is more meaningful to quote Power (watts) rather than voltage or current.

It is also important to remember that a magneto's output is time variable, it's AC rather than DC. An LED expects constant voltage. The 7805 Voltage regulator will not work with an AC voltage source, and in fact, a 7805 does not regulate 6V to 5V anyways :)

It sounds to me as if someone (like me) could design a circuit that would take the magneto output, rectify it, clean it, and pump it to something like a 5W LED:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8201
The LED costs $20, imagine all the parts for the circuit would cost ~ $30, the hardware to mount the thing might cost another $20, so an LED system run off the magneto might cost ~$50. Would people be willing to pay that much?

If only I could get my bike working! I'm more of an electronics guy rather than mechanical guy. (But you can help me by looking at my post in this forum ;)

If you do plan to connect something to your magneto, remember that it must be able to handle AC. A regular light bulb, for example, can handle AC just fine.

n

sorry havent been on in a few days im in the hospital sucks!!! but my light is a 5v i think it works fine on mine.

here's where i'm at:

ngk b6hs gapped at .030 starts and runs great, but won't start with 6V light wired in.

gapped at .015 will start and run with 6V bulb, but very difficult starting and low performance.

i've been given some old junk switches & i'll wire one in sometime today...gonna try starting with .030 gap, then turning on light.

my dream system: the 12V battery/halogen setup 'vinnie described, but taillight also, with a white-wire recharge.

wired a switch in, had to reduce the gap to approx .020 & bump the idle a bit before it wouldn't stall, but i have a white-wire headlight that works!

the reduction in performance is minimal.

yes, it's a bit dim for night riding, but it does make me visible, even in the daylight 8)

ya the motor seems not to start as easy as it did before i hooked it up

the switch is great...as dax suggested i wait til the engine's warmed up before i turn on the light.

augidog said:
the switch is great...as dax suggested i wait til the engine's warmed up before i turn on the light.

so u got a switch that gose from ur motor to ur light?

yup, just wait for the engine to warm up, then turn the light on, it works great.

ok what type of swith should i use and whare can i get it?

DC 6-12v switches can be had a Radio Shack for a couple dollars or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back