White wire missing, good or bad?

Lucknuts

Local time
12:03 AM
I went to hook up my wiring towards the end of installing this kit for the first time and I notice that the wires here are a little different from those described in the instructions provided.

Thanks to this awesome forum I discovered that the wiring from the kill switch just goes into the extra slots provided with the blue and black wire connections and the colors don't matter.

But, then I learned that I might not even want to use the kill switch at all and put a toggle switch or a key switch in the blue wire.

Great. But, that leaves me wondering about the missing white wire. I never noticed any white wire coming out of the engine, only blue and black. And, I went ahead and sealed it with silicone already.

But, could there be a white wire, possibly uncapped, in there somewhere still? I never looked in the hole, I just sealed it with the wires that were already coming out of it.

It sounds like the white wires were a problem so maybe these new engines don't have them anymore?

Thanks.

Don't look in no hole.........

Take the magneto cover off to see what happened to the white wire.

Removing it is not a problem, but you don't want it grounding out
on the engine case.

The white wire just puts out a small amount of power at 6 volts
and is more trouble than it is worth because it takes away power
from the ignition.

I haven't heard anything about new motors coming without a white
wire. it was probably just some bad quality control.

Thanks. I guess the white wire is supposed to be coming out of the magneto not the engine?

This magneto doesn't look like it opens. There's some kind of heat shrink or something covering the side where the wires come out. You can see it's just the blue & black + the spark plug cable. Weird.

BikeEngine-magneto.jpg

They say a pic is worth a lot of words........

You got the CDI confused with the magneto.
Capacitor Discharge Ignition.

That black box is the CDI and only a blue and black wire
comes out of it aside from the spark plug cable.

The coil or magneto is in the motor behind the front cover
on the left hand side held on with four 5 mm screws.

A blue, black and white wire come off it and yes the white
wire can be removed.
What wires does your magneto have?

Anyway, it's probably not important since it sounds like the white wire was more trouble that it's worth. Maybe I should be glad it's not here.

I now have six bikes with the white wire pushing head, tail and brakelights- two of those have turn signals and use a battery that the white wire charges (See sticky "$5 Home Depot headlight revisited") . It's not that hard... but if the Chinese are dropping the white wire, well THAT's a bummer!

I now have six bikes with the white wire pushing head, tail and brakelights- two of those have turn signals and use a battery that the white wire charges (See sticky "$5 Home Depot headlight revisited") . It's not that hard... but if the Chinese are dropping the white wire, well THAT's a bummer!

Wow, nice sticky. That rabbit hole is deeep and awesome! Now I wish I had a white wire.

Anyone got any pics of where the white wire goes? Maybe I could hook up my own. Hmm. I suppose once I get it running I could just check it with a tester and see if there's anywhere to put my own "white wire".

Sgt. Howard spent a lot of time and effort to set up a lighting system that will work off the white wire without drawing too much power from the engine. As most on the forum know, You just can't hook up a light to the white and not expect it to affect engine performance.
The Sarge has a thread that explains, step by step, how he does this.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?39474-5-Home-Depot-headlight-revisited
Big Red.

Back