White Wire Voltage - 20+ V ??

N

npk1977

Ok,

I finally got my bike running this past weekend! It's not as nice looking as my old bike, but at least I've got something :) Note, that the first paragraph that follows is the executive summary. The following paragraphs are at a more technical level.

CAVEAT: My spark plug may need to be tuned!

As promised, I measured the output voltage from the white wire, in the hopes of eventually designing and building a high-quality lighting system for these motorized bikes. The output voltage was something like 20V to 25V. When loaded with a 10kOhm resistor, and the motor died, implying that the motor can source less than 0.06 Watts! (This is why I'm guessing I need to tune my spark.)

The setup was as follows: I duct-taped a "ground" wire to my steering column. A 3' wire was connected to the black cable. Measurements were made between those two wires.

The output waveform was not a nice, beautiful looking, sinusoidal wave, but rather a very strange looking waveform. The positive swing looked half sinusoidal, but the downward swing shot off the bottom of my oscilloscope. Until I can photograph my oscilloscope, this is the best desc available :)

The white-wire output was connected to a diode bridge rectifier (DF005M) and a 0.1uF smoothing, electrolytic capacitor. Output was loaded with the 1MOhm voltmeter and a 10kOhm resistor. Bike would not start with the 10kOhm connected.

H

Herrmanator8

:confused::confused: i didnt get any of that...as far as i know, the white wire puts out 6 volts 3 watts. correct me if i'm wrong. possibly a transformer could bump up the voltage a little for your big light system thingy.

since i can tell you know something about electronics, i have a wheel based friction generator on my bike and i connected it to my rear light and my headlignt, the rear light has never blown but the headlight bulb always blows in a matter of minutes. i guess 30mph is too much electricity for it. i now have the white wire on my headlight. but, is there some type of resister that i could get to step down some of the electricity that its generating? tell me if there is please.

jon

N

npk1977

See, I'm confused too. Everyone says the white wire pumps out 6V/3W. I'm not really sure what the heck is going on! I do hope to figure it out soon though :)

n

D

davidsis

6v 3w

ya, figure it out. I am really bad at electrical things, and I need a light bad, so I can ride in Daytona. Please keep me posted really want lights I need a head light and a tail light and a brake light to ride in Daytona.

N

npk1977

Whatever I come up with will be home-grown and kind of janky :) However, the hub lighting systems look like they are high quality, and will not blow up at high speeds:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/nexus.asp

I'm sure you can find a good place to order them for cheap online. (ie, not necessarily the link i sent.)

D

davidsis

brake lights

I think I just solved my brake light problem
look on e-bay item #220135635600
Brake pads that light up when you put the brakes on.

N

npk1977

They seem nice, but only 2 LEDs? Not sure how much light that will pump out. Also, what happens if you decide to use saddle bags?

N

npk1977

Ok, who on this board has a voltmeter (or digital multimeter.) I'd like to mail you a little circuit for testing. You need to have

1) A mailing address
2) A multimeter/voltmeter/whatever you call it.
3) A Working, well tuned motored-bike
4) The willingness to mail the circuit back, and email me your results :)
5) I live in Santa Cruz, CA, so if you happen to live in town, even better.

I can't figure out what's going on with my bike, I'm getting enormous, 24V, voltages :)

The circuit is incredibly simple, consisting of three discrete components, a diode bridge, a capacitor and a resistor. It converts the variable output of the CDI into a nice, smooth, DC signal.

PM Me.

D

dave1490

:confused::confused: i didnt get any of that...as far as i know, the white wire puts out 6 volts 3 watts. correct me if i'm wrong. possibly a transformer could bump up the voltage a little for your big light system thingy.

since i can tell you know something about electronics, i have a wheel based friction generator on my bike and i connected it to my rear light and my headlignt, the rear light has never blown but the headlight bulb always blows in a matter of minutes. i guess 30mph is too much electricity for it. i now have the white wire on my headlight. but, is there some type of resister that i could get to step down some of the electricity that its generating? tell me if there is please.

jon

you can use a resitor to give you a voltage drop but it will affect all speeds not just 30mph.

N

npk1977

I measured the output voltage again, and now I think everything is well tuned... Again, Vout was in the high 20s. Does anyone have experience with this?