Whizzer Dealer An Old Hotrodder!

Hal the Elder

Local time
8:04 AM
The dealer I bought my NE5 from yesterday is an old man of my age (72), but he currently rides a Whizzer and has owned and ridden all the past generations of the bike since the 1950's.

He pointed out the spacer installed between the carb and the engine block, saying this was placed there by the factory to restrict the intake airflow, thereby reducing the power of the engine to bring it down to under 2 HP to comply with State Laws for a motorized bicycle.

He said I should remove the spacer, and using a Dremel tool, open up the air passage to match the venturi diameter of the carb and the intake port of the engine, then replace the spacer. He said the spacer kept the carb a little farther away from the engine, helping to reduce vapor-lock.

THEN he said to drain the oil and remove the ten allen screws holding the engine side plate on, then pull out the camshaft and rotate the cam gear ONE TOOTH in its direction of rotation, advancing the valve timing , which will also give better performance.

(He didn't day anything about relieving the exhaust restriction.)

So there you have it... a dealer advocating the tampering with factory settings to gain performance!

I was surprised a dealer would have the nerve to suggest this to a customer, knowing it was in violation of State Laws!

Heck, when YOU guys suggest all these performance mods, that's great, and I'll probably make some of 'em myself, even though I'm not out for more speed!

But to be honest, I couldn't stand the thought of an engine being purposely restricted just to comply with a silly law!

HAL

Last edited:
Whizzer dealer suggestions

Hi Hal,
The guy's telling you the truth. These things are easy to do. Even if you don't want to go fast it gives you more power for things like pulling out from a stop or going up hills.
Hope the guy doesn't get in trouble with Whizzer for telling you this. I hear they're peculiar about some things.

Who is the dealer

If you dont want to say his name could you give the first letter of his first and last name or the state location of his dealership. Ill take a stab R. W.?:confused:

Hal, please be aware that Whizzer (the company) reads this message board. Any information you share here is information you share with Whizzer, and be aware, as well, that modifying your engine can void your warranty with Whizzer.

let's get this right

this is the same dealer that sent you a MB that at this time will not run - brand new

he sounds like the kind of guy that would have at least started it before sending...

when they don't start sure makes it hard to -- ride that thing

Hey Mountain Man

I didn't want the dealer to start it. I just wanted him to drain the gas tank cold.

I had to drive 100 miles with that bike lying on its side inside a new car.

HAL

Back