Whizzer Dipstick: how to check?

igrout

Local time
5:51 AM
I have a 2002 Whizzer with the threaded dipstick, and I was wondering if the oil level should be checked with the dipstick screwed all the way down or resting on top of the threads. I don't have a manual, but I've had motorcycles where the manual instructs "check with dipstick resting on top of threads". I figured with small engine like that the .5" of threads would probably make a big difference, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I just went cover to cover on my Whizzer service manual, and oddly enough there was no mention of it. According to my brother (who has a 2000 WC1, the same model as yours) it is measured screwed all the way down. I hope this is of help.
I see that you are a new member. Please go to the introduction forum and give us a short intro. You will find that there is a lot of information to be found here. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Hi,
All dipsticks are not created equal, and all threads aren't the exact depth. On average the dipstick screwed all the way down with the oil mark at the top of full is approx. 8 oz. of oil. The best way to determine the correct level on your motor is during the next oil change. Drain the oil, then lean the bike way over to the flywheel side for a short time to make sure all of the old oil is drained from the motor. Put in exactly 8 oz. of oil [use a measuring cup] in the motor and see where it shows on the dipstick. Oh! 3 important comments, be sure to put the drain plug in and tighten before adding the new oil, make sure the bike is level before checking the oil, and be sure to screw the dipstick in "snug". You would be amazed how far the dipstick can travel, and how much oil can be added with the drain plug out, ha ha.
Have fun,
Quenton

Hey Quenton,
My dip stick says 10 oz right on it. Is that because it's a WC-1 bottom end? Don't mean to hijack the tread... I just want to know.

Jim

Hi Bill, Correct, and also during oil change drain oil with bike off stand and lean to left [flywheel side] to remove as much of the old oil as possible. If the oil is drained on the stand with the front wheel on the ground, a fair amount of oil will not exit the drain hole.
It is easy to check the oil on the Ambassador, because of the side stand. Just loosen the dipstick, and tilt the bike to level, then check the oil.
All the motors use 8 oz. of oil. I have never seen a dipstick with 10 oz. marked on it before [sounds like a rare collectors item], all of mine are marked 8 oz. All the dipsticks I have in stock have an area ground flat and the number 8 has been stamped in, make me wonder if they said 10 and was ground out and stamped 8 [ I love a good mystery].
Have fun,
Quenton

I'm not doubting anyone. It's just that my dipstick has 10 oz on it. My brothers NE5 has 8 oz on his. I will take a picture tomorrow just to make sure I'm not full of carp. My eyes are not perfect anymore so a picture will clear up any doubt. Thanks everyone.

Jim

I can vouch for RdKryton. I saw the dipstick in question when we were working on our bikes the other day. His is marked 10oz. Yet the Service manual we have states 8oz for the WC1. I don't understand why they would have marked it 10oz, unless it was a Cruzzer Cyclone mod. His WC1 is a Cruzzer.

Back