Whizzer Engine Test Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Andulics

Local time
2:59 AM
I built this Whizzer test stand for myself and wondered if there would be enough interest that it would warrant making some more for sale? It is patterned loosely around the original Whizzer test stand. Rather than a casting the upright is water jet cut from 6061 aluminum. You can loosen two screws and the legs are easily removed for storage. This posting is to judge the interest and determine a price point (what would you pay)? Thanks

IMG_2458.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2462.jpg
IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg

Hi Joe,
Nice stand you built for yourself. Kinda looks like the one I made from a 2x12 and some plywood. You kinda over engineered the base mounting. The slots with the square nuts and the notching for the base supports seems like alot of extra time and labor . I think it would look cleaner if you just drilled and taped 2 holes for each base support. If you are really serious about offering this type of stand for sale list it in the vendor section of this form. If you want to find out what its worth, auction on e bay will give you an idea.
The stand you made turned out very nice. Alot nicer than the one I made out of a 2x12 and some plywood.
I 'm not trying to bash your work I'm just offering some advice that might help the value.
If anyone wants a whizzer engine stand made from a piece of 2x12 and some plywood? Look for it in the vendor section, there selling for $19.99 +shipping some assembly required and yes it can be disassembled for easy storage
The only thing about tapping holes is it requires completely unscrewing the base foot bolt to remove it, the square nut is much faster in regards to assembly and disassembly.

No offense, plywood seems kinda cheesy compared to a solid metal base that can be bolted down and reused many many times (without flexing) by a true hobbiest, not to mention a true hobbiest would find more appeal in a metal product like this and would be mechanically apt enough to to be capable producing a plywood stand for the low low price of free scrap wood in the garage, and would be very unwilling to pay for such a product made from plywood, or at least I would see it that way.

If you recieved 40 orders tonight would you actually be willing to sit down and make that many and ship them for only 20 dollars a pop? Sure that's 800 bucks but if it takes you longer than 80 hours to make, package, and ship each one then you'd be better off grilling burgers in a New York city McDonald's..

Thanks, these comments are what I was looking for. The base attachment is actually less work than tapping holes in the base. Being water jet cut it adds less than 30 seconds to the overall cut time. I can't drill and tap two holes that quickly, plus depending upon the temper, tapping 6061 aluminum is no walk in the park, it can be gummy and difficult to tap. Not really interested in making a large volume, unless there is a demand. Thanks everyone for answering

Frakenstine ,
The 2x12 and plywood stand was just a joke ,I,m supprised you did'nt catch on.
To me the square nut appeared sloppy. Also how many times do you think you're going to set up and break down that motor stand?
All the motor stands I've seen factory built or homemade are usually fixed in position nice and rigid.
And dont worry I'm not going to try and take your job at McDonalds.

Frankenstine is always ready and willing to belittle anyone who sticks his neck out.

Well this all got ugly quickly didn't it? Nice looking product. The Whizzer builders would like it I'm sure. Probably be a large market for something similar for the china girl engines. As far as value I would have to compare it to other similar products (though of different use) on the market and go from their as to degree of difficulty in manufacturing vs pricing. Were the base plates made of angle and attached to mount plate front and rear vertically and a price somewhere comparable to a after market head I would be tempted.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have a source for "scrap" aluminum so there's not too much cost in the material. The over cut you see in the base really has nothing to do with being square, its the nature of water jet cutting especially in thicker material. What you see is a jet lag or rooster tailing. Some newer machines will slow down at these intersections to reduce the effect but that and taper are common in water jet cutting the thicker material. Not looking to make $$$ with the stands just looking for some "whizzer" spending money! What's your involvement with Whizzers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back