Whizzer engine.

Local time
12:39 AM
So, I was wondering, and I figured I'd ask on here first. What is an unrestored but free Whizzer engine worth, like how much would it take to buy one. I know that there's a lot of different models so if you could enlighten me I would really appreciate it. We have a 1950 Schwinn Panther that my Dad and I thought we would put a Whizzer on. Just tell me what you think! Thanks!

Hi Kestrel Motors Inc.,

A very difficult question to answer, as they vary greatly in value depending on which version, and the condition. Remember, "Condition is everything".

The "H" motor is the most common, then the "J" and then Number series motors [300, 300S, 500, 600S, and 700]. An average "H" motor [complete], not rebuilt should be worth $350.00 to $400.00. A complete "J" [un-restored] should bring between $400.00 to $450.00, and the later motors about double [$700.00 to $900.00]

The average rebuild cost is approx $400.00, however if the crankshaft and ignition are good it will cost much less. All parts are available except the Torrington needle bearing in the side cover.

Major items that decrease value:
Incorrect or no carburetor
Missing clutch arm & pulley
Defective or missing magneto
Defective or missing coil on number series motors
In-operative alternator on number series motors.
Incorrect head [all versions]
Missing or broken exhaust manifold
Broken fins on head or cylinder
Locked motor

Items that add value:
Belt guard [condition is important]
Throttle & compression release controls & cables
Belts
Rear belt sheave
Motor mounts
Exhaust manifold [must be correct for motor series]
Exhaust pipe [flex or echo] Echo worth much more, must be in good condition
No broken fins on head or cylinder

I will attach a picture of my 1950 Schwinn Panther [won 1st place in over 30 events] In fact it is on the inside cover of the latest edition of the VBMC magazine [39 year old club], as the 2011 winner of "Best Restored Motor Bike- Senior Class".

The Panther presents 2 problems with the Whizzer motor, first it is much easier to use an "H" or "J" motor because the later motors with the Hi-Fin head make it very difficult to clear the bottom of the lower frame bar. As you will see in the pictures, the motor is all the way down and almost touches the chain guard. Secondly the rear belt will rub the frame, unless you replace the wheel with a bigger offset or install several washers on the rear axel between the hub and frame.

Of course any American made Schwinn is solid and offers a ride unlike any other bike. If you need any help, just ask. I can supply you with detailed pictures if needed to make the project much easier [I have already made all the mistakes and can save you a lot of time & trouble, LOL]

Once you complete the project, you will love it! The average "H" will make it to 35 MPH and pull hills easily [the vintage Whizzers have LOTS of torque, and pull hard]. The average "J" can max at about 38 MPH. And the number series can easily hit 40 MPH and beyond [many good running motors can top 45 MPH on level ground].

As a youth in Ohio I had a couple of Ambassadors, and always rode "double" with my brother everywhere I went. The American made Whizzer motors are very high torque units, and pull like a Tractor.

The "H" & "J" are rated the same [2.5 HP], but the "J" has larger ports, and a larger carburetor and will go a little faster than the "H". The RPM level is 3700 on the "H" & "J", and 4200 on the later number series motor.

It is very common to find Whizzer motors with a lot of incorrect parts as most parts [99%] are "backwards compatible", meaning parts made for later motors will fit earlier motors and vise-versa.

If you need any parts, I have a very large collection of NOS, repop, and some good used parts to fit the American motors. If I don't have what you need, I can send you in the right direction to find them. I have almost every part in stock, but want to keep some items for future builds myself.

Have fun,

Any more questions?

Have fun,

Attachments

• Mvc-250s.jpg
    Mvc-250s.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Mvc-536f.jpg
    Mvc-536f.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Mvc-551f.jpg
    Mvc-551f.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,575
Last edited:
Hi Jay,

You forgot to mention, both have won 1st place trophies. The Ivory won best restored several years ago, and the 1948 won best unrestored last year at Portland, IN .

Show some pictures!

Have fun,

The motor for sale in buy/sell/trade has a rebuilt crank, new rod bearings, new piston, rings, bearings, seals, electronic ignition, gaskets, rebuilt carburetor, 100% correct parts, etc..............Over $400.00 invested in the rebuild. In fact I would buy it an keep myself, but just out of space!

PM me for more details or other options, as this isn't the right place to discuss sales or prices.

Have fun,

Back