Whizzer intake restrictor plate questions.

D

del

Howdy, Folks,

I'm a new member here, so I'd guess that this topic has been covered. But going through the thousands of posts became a bit daunting.. So, I apologize for my ignorance in advance...

I just bought a new Whizzer and, in the process of getting the needle-valve set at the right notch in the main jet, found myself pondering how to get rid of the restrictor at the input to the intake manifold. Has anyone done that? If so, how did you do it?

I've read a few things here and there on the internet. But none of the folks elsewhere answered some fundamental problems...

One person said to hog-out the gasket material with a hand drill, but said nothing about how to keep bits of gasket pieces out of the intake manifold. Another person said to remove the thick restrictor gasket, but said nothing about why you might want to isolate the carb from engine heat with an insulating gasket..

Any ideas, or references to previous posts, would be appreciated.

--del

Last edited by a moderator:
New Whizzer intake

Hi well altering the intake is illegal, but, if you don't care about that, or are going to ride "offroad" then which exact model do you have? Do you have the aluminum extension on the intake between carb and barrel?

Mike

Howdy, Mike,

Am I wrong here? I thought the intake restrictor was there to reduce the top speed of the bike, so it would be a legal moped... The Whizzer seems to have too many CC's to call it a moped in Illinois, so I've licensed it as a motorcycle.
So, I'm not convinced that opening up the intake is illegal for me. But I could be missing something...

It's a 2007 NE 5. The trip between the carb and the engine goes:
carb, plastic spacer, gasket, thick restrictor gasket, intake manifold..
Nothing else...

Does that help?

Thanks,
--del

Hi well altering the intake is illegal, but, if you don't care about that, or are going to ride "offroad" then which exact model do you have? Do you have the aluminum extension on the intake between carb and barrel?

Mike

can i take a guess that the mod is a matter of emmissions, hence the legality issue?

sorry to interrupt, but i'm really interested in learning more about these engines.

Jack, my tinkering genius customer over in Eva, has 2 Whizzers bought at a closeout about 5-6 months ago.

He called the California Whizzer distributor, found on a sticker placed somewhere on the bike, had a VERY informative conversation with the technical rep (Del- look in your private messages box).

The lack of a transmission is the Whizzer claim (no matter that it is 136cc) to moped status. Don't know how they do it, but I guess it's the buyer responsibility/onus to especially obey city speed limits.

restrictors

Hi well I was just getting info for telling you how to do the job correctly, and as a CA dealer, I need to give you the old "illegal to tamper" song and dance!

Take the black plastic, and use it to transfer the hole sizes to the flesh-colored piece. Then, I use a "uni-bit" tapered cone-shaped drill bit in my Dewalt cordless, and ream the hole from both sides to get it opened up, and reassemble in the exact same order as it came apart.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Here in ca. the law is 2hp max, no shifting gears, no speed in excess of 28mph, and has to be able to be pedaled independent of the engine. That being said we just carved the center out of the restrictor spacer to the size of the intake tract and installed in proper order. Have fun, Dave
PS: Keep it under 28mph, or you know what will happen.

Thanks for the great info, folks! It is much appreciated!

It appears that, in spite of Federal "Guidelines", every state
and town in the country seems to have their own laws. I
won't go into details about my lengthy conversation with
the Illinois DOT (though it is a bit humerous). But, no matter
what I said about it being a moped, I was told that if it had 138cc's
it _would_ go faster than a moped...

So, in order to avoid being hassled by the local constabulary,
I've licensed it as a motorcycle.

I don't know what the top speed was when I first got it; I had
other problems to solve. But once I got the main mixture set
correctly it would go 30 MPH. For an old f**t like me, that
seemed scary-fast enough.

So, over the next few days, I'll contemplate the restrictor
and decide how to attack it. Even though speed is not my goal,
I don't like the idea of an engine that's not allowed to breathe free.

Thanks,

--del

It is very important that you don't remove the restrictor, because it is needed to help insolate the carburetor from the cylinder. If you open the hole to match the other spacers it should add a large amount of power in the mid to upper RPM levels.
Quenton

Last edited:
That's what I thought, Quenton,

The last thing you want is a carb that gets so hot the fuel boils in it!
That would not be good....

--del

It is very important that you don't remove the restrictor, because it is needed to help insolate the carburetor from the cylinder. If you open the hole to match the other spacers it should add a large amount of power in the mid to upper RPM levels.
Quenton

Back