whizzer issues

frenchlayer

Local time
6:57 PM
Folks,
I was happy getting my 24" black ne5. I am having some issues though. I changed the main jet which was a #95, to an 88 and lowered the needle. The bike was running real rich and still is. I took it to my local whizzer dealer and he tuned the thing and changed the main jet, it runs great on the
stand at full throttle, but when under load this thing dies out. I am wondering if there is a carb issue that I cannot pinpoint. The thing is still running rich as ****, and after all the tuning we cannot figure out why it won't run under a load. I can't make it up a simple incline with this thing. I rode the dealers 26" that he had and what a big difference. I am wondering if the original owner could not find the problem either and that is why they were using the #95 jet. I am at a loss here. I now want to sell this and my motorized bike so I can buy the red 26" 08. Any thoughts?:mad:

I am hearing that a bunch of the 22mm carbs came with a #95 main jet. Mine did too. Mine also had a very small pilot jet that made it stumble off idle to about 1/3 throttle then it would run fine. Has the restrictor plate been opened up? Has the cam been advanced 1 tooth counterclockwise? This info may help diagnose the problem. Does yours idle well?
Please post the answers so we can figure this out.
Thanks
Jim

Hi frenchlayer,
What year is the black NE5? Most of the later models use the #88 main jet. The #95 was standard equipment on many models, but is way too rich, in fact the #88 is still on the rich side. How many miles on the motor? I have a large supply of main jets, but the most common is a #82 or #85. If the motor is older than late 2007, you may need to check the lifter settings. Try raising the needle to the center with the #88 jet and see what happens. Does the motor have the restrictor in place? Does the dealers 08 have the restrictor in place [not comparable if one has the restrictor and the other doesn't]. Does your model have the aluminum manifold?

Have fun,
Quenton

This is an 05 with 980 miles. When getting this serviced, we went ahead and removed the restrictor plate. The dealers 08, still had his plate on. I have not advanced the cam tooth ccw. How exactly can I go about doing this?

The needle was in the middle after replacing the jet, but I moved it to the highest position to see if that would help with it running rich. I will have to double check on the jet size to see if it is an 88 or 84

The bike does idle well and for the aluminum manifold, Where do I look for that? Sorry not too mechanically inclined, but my MB i built with the 70cc dax does run great

Last edited:
Check the lifters! The clearance on the lifters should be .009" [factory settings], but I set mine at .006" intake and .008" exhaust. The aluminum manifold can be purchased from any Whizzer dealer, and there are several on this site that should have them in stock. Most likely the camshaft is already advanced, but if not it is easy to do. Remove the side cover, find the dot on the camshaft and the crankshaft, turn camshaft one tooth counterclockwise, re-install side cover. If you lean the bike a little you won't even need to drain the oil. Be sure the check the bottom of the lifters to make sure they aren't badly worn, if so, purchase a set of mushroom lifters from one of the dealers on this site, as they always help everyone and deserve your business [plus they can help you if you run into problems, and are available a lot of the time]. # 84 should be close, just make sure the needle is in the center or in the second notch from the top.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
Ok, I took the cover off the other day trying to figure this out. There is a dot on the cam and crank shaft, but they do not line up anywhere. There is a mark on one of the gears that did line up with the dot on the larger gear, not sure if it the cam or crankshaft, i believe it was the smaller gear to the right when looking at it from the side with the cover

Hi frenchlayer,
The gear to the right is the cranksaft [smaller gear] and usually has 2 marks on it. One is usually a line, and the other is a dot. The line should be pointed towards the top of the motor, and the dot to the left. Pull the camshaft towards the cover side and re-insert it so the dot is to the left of the dot on the crankshaft [CCW]. Be sure to remove the camshaft entirely and look at the bottom of the lifters for exessive wear [common problem]. Feel free to call me if necessary at 252-475-0406 [cell] for additional information or help.

Have fun,
Quenton

ok i screwed up> i was trying to advance it and accidentally pulled it all the way out. Now it is misfiring and I cannot get it started and do not know the correct way to put it back it:confused:

Back