Whizzer kit on an Elgin project

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxGlide

Local time
4:45 AM
Well, notwithstanding my earlier dumb question, here is what I've been working on the last while.
Got this from a guy off Craigslist in New York and decided to redo her all as the frame had been hand painted and modified and I wanted to make sure she was all sound before I put her back together. Here's what she looked like when I got her.

Attachments

• Whiz chain guard.jpeg
    Whiz chain guard.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 1,864
  • Whiz front wheel.JPG
    Whiz front wheel.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 560
  • Whiz rear bumper.JPG
    Whiz rear bumper.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 534
  • whizzer muffler side.jpeg
    whizzer muffler side.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
Whizzer/Elgin cont'

Then I took her apart and photo cataloged everything in order of assembly. Sent moto to Quenton Guenther for a rebuild. Have not started it yet but he says it is running beautifully. The work I can see looks fantastic.

Attachments

• Whiz parts.JPG
    Whiz parts.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Whiz pedal parts.JPG
    Whiz pedal parts.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Whizzer/Elgin repairs

Then I stripped the frame and took it to a fella for repairs.
Lower crossbar had been hacked off at one end, bent and braised then rough parts filled with bondo. Took all bondo out and fella repaired and reinforced every place that needed it.
I will be post more before and after pics in the next few days.

Attachments

• Whiz rough frame.JPG
    Whiz rough frame.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 543
  • Whiz rough repair.JPG
    Whiz rough repair.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 556
  • Whiz bar repair.JPG
    Whiz bar repair.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Keep the pictures coming! Quenton does do a nice rebuild on these motors. I have an H motor that he did and it looks brand new!

Jim

I third the request for continuing this restoration thread!
The quality of the frame repair looks top notch!
You appear to be doing a first class job in this one.

Haven't forgotten the pics..

Few more pics of the process. Found proper forks and color matched the red from inside the steering tube. Made new templates for fork from faded remains of original fork. Color matched cream accent color to the cream from the decals I got from Menotomy Cycles. Fork and frame painted and starting to put things back together. (Green on frame is tape I applied to prevent damaging the paint.)

Attachments

• IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
My Whizzer was stolen, but....

Well like and idiot I somehow left the garage door open last night and at 5am this morning I went in and the, incomplete, Whizzer was gone. After freaking out for a few minutes, I knew I had to get going and open my coffee shop. I decided to cruise the alleys behind my house on the way to work. I fortunately (this time) live on a street with a big, very steep dip in it. Well you all know how hard a Whizzer is to push, especially if you don't push in the clutch..... lo and behold there was the Whizzer leaning up against a tree at the bottom of the dip!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!! I did loose a small tool kit but I figure its a cheep lesson to beef up up my closing procedures and my security......

On a better note, I am getting more stuff back from painting so more and more of the bike is together, almost there.

Will post pics soon

Wayne

Holy carp!!! Wow you caught a break there. Now other people know you have a desirable target too so a security increase is definitely in order! Nice recovery.
BTW it looks great too.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back