Whizzer NER Engine Mods-Questions for the experts

Whizzers are like potato chips, you just can't just have one.
I have over 30 Whizzers in my collection including two restored Pacemakers, two restored Sportsmans, three Original Schwinn WZ507/S4, one S10, two Schwinn DX, Schwinn Phantom w/300 motor, Roadmaster 226W, 1948 Roadmaster, 1953 Roadmaster 1999, [2] 2001, 2002, 2003, [3]2005, 2006, 2007 Ambassador, and several still in cartons, not to mention at least 35 Whizzer motors, one of the last vintage motor kits w/704498 motor, over 100 cylinders, and thousands of vintage & new edition parts so taking an extra Sportsman frame and making it a drag bike was a no-brainer. What is important is no one was able to beat it period. I can assure you, many tried but wasn't able to catch it. It produced almost 10 HP on a DYNO, not bad for a flat head 148 CC [bored to 59 MM] motor. BTW the motor started out on a 26" bike, and was a lot of fun to ride, but just couldn't get the belts tight enough to pull the taller ratios without massive slippage, because the motor revs so quickly.
Maybe some day we will cross paths and see if one of your motors can do what others couldn't. I was going to take it apart and sell off a lot of the parts, however I will leave it intact just in case.

Which Weber cam are you using in your motor? I finally collected all 3 versions, and was surprised in the differences. The most common is the .191" lift, second is the .176" lift and last and most rare is the .187" lift with 104 lobe centers. The 104 is by far the wildest and revs the highest, but the super long duration makes it hard to tune at lower RPMs. I had several camshafts ground with .212" lift and 102 lobe centers, and were much easier setting up the carburetor.

Have fun,

2014-07-28 19.21.27.jpg
Far more is offered to me. And the sportsman,pacemaker, and others. All are earlier than what you have.Just like the new generation I have.
Show me One of these.

Ray
2014-07-28 19.21.27.jpg

I've decided I'm going to make steel belt guards for the new generation whizzer. Just need to fit the mounting holes in the right place.
Gonna start off with the plain H cover, then the one with ribs.
Let me know if you're interested :)

Ray
20161004_155433.jpg
20161004_155449.jpg

Great idea!

I have been making adapter plates to fit the vintage covers on the new motors, however the supply of vintage belt guards has dried up. Considering the short life of the plastic guard, a metal replacement is the only answer.

Keep us posted

Have fun,

Thinking about that knifed crank and con rod beam huh.yeah
I can post the video.

Ray

Hi Mike,

Sadly the vendor in Taiwan doesn't always "speak the truth", as he has sent several with the valve block module, even when asked not to.

Some received the NE cylinder with the individual seats, and some did not.

If he were to send the correct version [like the picture on EBay], it was still "short cured" and will need to be re-cured.

He also lists the cylinder with a head [NE-r or Ambassador], but is the Hi temperature version.

Try replacing your current head bolts with a high grade version and the head will stay tight and may aid in reducing temperature [loose heads run hotter].

Have fun,

Hi Mike,

Heat coating will help reduce the operating temperature. All new edition Whizzer run hot, but the fin-less head [NE-r & Ambassador] adds more than 85 degrees over normal. I managed to use my mill and cut the area between the fins deeper, and add additional fins, therefore reducing the temperature to previous levels [still too hot, but much better]. Please note to be very careful when cutting deeper fins, because the area near the left rear head bolt is minimum [.025"] and could cause a "hot spot".

Concerning the valve module..........If you 'deck" the top of the cylinder it will reduce the height of the screws holding it in place. The major issue with the valve module is it hits part of the head [decking will fix this issue].

Another area to consider is the head gasket! The stock gasket [steel or copper] doesn't even come close to matching the combustion chamber. The motor will run cooler if the copper head gasket EXACTLY matched the head pattern. The current version allows the explosion to seep into the areas between the head and cylinder, and not only effects power, but causes the system to develope an un-even squish pattern.

The Westman cylinder [cast iron] will work, but takes a lot of effort to get it correct. It should never be ordered with the large valves as they require the valve pockets in the head to be too close to the corner head bolts [often blows head gasket] The Westman head, however isn't one of my favorite choices. Sadly even though the head has tall fins, the metal used doesn't do well in reducing the operating temperature, and the combustion chamber is really rough [requires some serios work to smooth it out].

If possible to locate, all earlier NE heads are better than the "fin-less" version used on the NE-r & Ambassador.

I had an expert make the majority of my personal heads, and managed to aquire a few for others, however he is currently too busy to make any soon. I will continue to work on supplying his PERFECT version of the tall finned NE head as soon as he finds time to do so.

If anyone needs more information, please ask or email me at quincy163@yahoo.com

Have fun,
I purchased one of them NE-5 engine's from whizzerpaul aka joe lin, the carb had shavings in the bowl got told I put it there, The head gasket wouldn't tourqe down right, found out the 2 10mm bolts were threaded in the head, so there was no way those bolts would seal the gasket in those 2 locations. I am in the process of obtaining a cast iron cylinder from Ralph however he had a stroke an is out of the shop, I hope he gets better soon. I don't mind doing a little work to get it going, I have to it's the only whizzer in my location. Them ne5 engine's have a nice cam in them but other then that there junk,WC1 all the way. Ride hard & Safe. Majicfingers

I purchased one of them NE-5 engine's from whizzerpaul aka joe lin, the carb had shavings in the bowl got told I put it there, The head gasket wouldn't tourqe down right, found out the 2 10mm bolts were threaded in the head, so there was no way those bolts would seal the gasket in those 2 locations. I am in the process of obtaining a cast iron cylinder from Ralph however he had a stroke an is out of the shop, I hope he gets better soon. I don't mind doing a little work to get it going, I have to it's the only whizzer in my location. Them ne5 engine's have a nice cam in them but other then that there junk,WC1 all the way. Ride hard & Safe. Majicfingers
Oh Yes forgot joe lin nor whizzerpaul would honnor their warranty so buyers beware

20160916_172608.jpg
20160916_172639.jpg

The cam....Yes.
Losing some weight can help the mighty Whizzer too! And I'm Balanced too! ;)

Can you dig it.

Ray

Back