Whizzer speedometer and drum brake

Traveler

Local time
3:05 PM
I have a Whizzer speedometer that uses a cable to a device that attaches over the axle and on the spokes. My problem is I recently replaced the front wheel with a new wheel that came with a Sturmey Archer drume brake. Is there any way I can still use the speedometer? Thanks for any advice.

If I have to choose between the drum brake and the speedometer, I'll keep the drum brake. I've heard a speedometer is required to license. As a last result, I'll mount my Droid phone with the GPS speedo app to get it licensed. Old technology meets new.

Speedo Drive

Hi Guys, that speedo drive is held on by the inner axle nut. Remove nut, slide off speedo drive, and re-install on the Sturmey.......OK?

I am assuming the Sturmey brake arm and the speedo drive both go on the left side. If not, let me know. On the left side, the brake drum is too large for the speedo drive to engage the spokes, and there is that pesky brake arm getting in the way. It might work on the right side, but I am believing the speedo would not work that way, and there is still the problem of the speedo drive engaging something to make it turn.. If not, again please let me know. It's been 50 years since I have had a speedo like that.

Thanks Motorbikemike

Knee jerk reaction there. I'll look at how the gear interfaces with the hub/spokes when times comes. Just going to start putting the whole bike back together. I'll let you know Traveller if it works out.

Wayne

Brake reaction arm vs speedo drive

Hi guys, well I have not used the XFD yet, but in most cases the reaction arm (pork chop) goes on the left hand side of the bike seen from where you are sitting on the bike.

Most of the time, the Whizzer speedo drives were mounted on the right hand side (again, as seen from sitting on the bike).

In the case that the little tabs do not go in-between the spokes, ANY method of being sure that the arm with opposing tabs spoins with the wheel, so long as it does not "load" too much pressure onto the drive, will work.

I have used the Whizzer speedo drives on other applications before.

Let us know how you make out.

Mike

Mike,

If the speedo drive goes on the right side, that is good news. I can probably make that work. The XFD hub has some openings on the right side that would probably work. I took some measuremants of the distance between the two tabs on the drive and the openings on the XFD hub on the right side. I measured aroud 3 1/4 on the drive, and it looks like it will fit the hub on the right side of the bike. It may requre bending the tabs slightly, but it should work. Thanks.

Jerry

I would say it will never work if it a cable drive. It has to be on the left side setting on the bike. If you put it on the right side the speedometer will run backward.

If I am right is buy a digital speedo that is trip by a magnet. It don't care what side it the sensor is place. When setting up use the 26" tire setup. Now you use the gps to adjust the speedometer to match the speed.

Back