Whizzer Sportsman Capacitor

thimmaker

Local time
8:32 PM
Looking for the specs. on the capacitor and coil used in a 1950 Sportsman. I think i have a bad capacitor and not sure about the size needed. Any help?
George

.038 MFD @ 12 V.

Capacitor will not stop fire unless shorted. You can use an OHM meter to check resistance or simply un-hook the lead from the coil and check fire.

The right side magneto [alternator] doesn't supply very much at kickstart speeds, and often weak magnets on the end of the camshaft make matter much worse.

I send all my side-cover ignitions to Dave in AZ. to rebuild.

Good luck on the coil as it is worth a small fortune. Often a "used" one will bring over $300.00.

Don't rule out the points, as the clip that contacts the coil can have a bad connection.

Have fun,

.038 MFD @ 12 V.

Capacitor will not stop fire unless shorted. You can use an OHM meter to check resistance or simply un-hook the lead from the coil and check fire.

The right side magneto [alternator] doesn't supply very much at kickstart speeds, and often weak magnets on the end of the camshaft make matter much worse.

I send all my side-cover ignitions to Dave in AZ. to rebuild.

Good luck on the coil as it is worth a small fortune. Often a "used" one will bring over $300.00.

Don't rule out the points, as the clip that contacts the coil can have a bad connection.

Have fun,

Thanks much on that Quentin. I'll give it a try and if no luck, i'll send it out to Dave.
Geo.

Just checked another spec sheet and the cap is listed at .138 MFD, however it doesn't matter as there are plenty available if needed.

Can buy Whizzers everywhere. Check ebay, craigs list, Whizzer newsletter, in buy and sell section of this site.

Have fun,

Sportsman Spark

Thanks much on that Quentin. I'll give it a try and if no luck, i'll send it out to Dave.
Geo.

Sent the side plate alternator, coil, and cam with magnets out to Dave B in Arizona and now it puts out enough spark for anything. He's GOOD. Thanks Quentin.
Geo.

Back