whizzer stock chain size

Whizzer Chain

Hi the Whizzer chain is a 1/2" pitch, standard beach cruiser chain.

Mike

the one I previously bought was jst a tad too narrow and would not stay on the sprockets. I found the correct size at Wallymart, had to buy two to get the corect length, now to break these suckers and get em together:cool:

Tiny narrow chain

Hi French, that means you probably tried to use derailer chain, it is more narrow than the old standard.

Mike

chain is a 1/2" pitch

Ahhhh but there are 3 kinds, #40, 41 and 420.

I believe the kits come with #41 chain

I am not a bike guy, but an industrial type, and I know I can get it (real cheap, like $12 for 10 feet) if I know what to ask for at an industrial supplier.
There are many larger sizes of roller chain as well, as well as regular bike chain - #35. Some chain is O-ring chain which uses a pair of tiny rubber o-rings on each link to keep dirt out (and oil in) of the inner pivots.

Chain# ..... Chain size (Pitch) ...... Roller Diameter ........... Roller Width ...... Pin Diameter ...... Sprocket material thickness
#35 ..................... 3/8" ................................ 3/16" ..................................... 3/16" ....................... 1/8" ................................. 1/8" to 5/32"
#40 .......................1/2".................................. 5/16"...................................... 5/16" ..................... 5/32"................................. 1/4" to 9/32"
#41........................ 1/2"................................. 5/16"......................................... 1/4".......................... 1/8"............................. 13/16" to 1/4"
#420 .................. 1/2".................................. 5/16"....................................... 5/16"...................... 5/32"................................. 1/4" to 9/32"

#35 pitch is very common, and will work in most standard applications. If you experience a lot of chain wear, you might want to switch from #35 standard chain to #35 racing chain. It will fit on your sprockets, but will last longer than standard chain and you don't have to go thru the trouble and expense of buying sprockets to fit a larger pitch chain.

#40, #41, and #420 chain is almost interchangeable on 1/2" pitch sprockets, with one minor exception.

#41 chain is narrower than #40 and #420, and will not fit on thicker sprockets that are designed specifically for #40 and #420 chain. I also think #40 will be a little loose (side-to-side) on a thinner sprocket.

#420 chain uses slightly thicker material on the link plates, and is stronger than #40 chain.

(sorry about the weird looking table, there are no tabs on here and spaces don't work properly)

For more info look here: http://www.rnrfabrication.com/chaintech.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back