Whizzer Wiring Diagram

First off want to say it is refreshing visiting this site with the caliber of people that are on here.Back in the early 60's had a few Whizzers one made a restoration project out of it. Then it was on to Harley Davidsons,still own them. A few years ago picked up a 1999 Whizzer finally getting to the stage where it's time to get it going. The motor has been completely redone now an NE5, Picked up a new Harness of course my wiring diagram is different the color codes are not matching. Looks like some of the wires that should be solid have different color dashes.

Was hoping there is a wiring diagram available that has the correct color or at least the same as my new harness.
Mike Ross

NE Ignition Wiring_Model.jpgHi Mike,

Best to use the original harness if you have it. There are many different versions of the harness, and they aren't compatible. The biggest differences are the rear harness assembly, and the Molex connectors from the stator.

As far as I know there isn't a schematic for the later versions, however they are wired the same [lights, CDI, horn, charging system, regulator, AC/DC relay, turn signals, etc], just different color wires, and different plugs. Be very careful where the rear harness plugs into the main harness, as there is a "hidden" ground, often missing on certain versions. The motor will not fire with the rear ground missing. Most of the time the "hidden" grounds are dark green wires.

You should be able to follow the original schematic and trace the wires to the components.

If needed you can go into detail here and I can help you "connect the dots". Like what to do if the stator plug is different and has 2 external wires instead of 1.

Have fun,

Lee,
Thank you very much for the rear harness tip will be vigilant for that. The plan is to only run head and tail lights with horn. Wonder if the new harness has provision to connect any grounds to the frame.
One other thing I need is the lower triple tree bearing race part # 5047 is that still available?
Mike Ross

Hi Mike,
Try Whizzer USA for the bearing.
The harness normally has a ground connector near the battery wires. The rear harness "mystery" ground is not attached to the frame, rather connecting two wires together near the rear Molex plug.

Have fun,

Hi Quenton, finally got my 99 Whizzer running it purrs like a kitten and the lake pipe (well you know) My brothers kit bike turned out to be a real brain fry. We finally set it up to use a timing light immediately saw a difference between his and mine. His having the 6 wire module mine the 5 wire. His has the electronic advance once the engine is off idle. I had to drill the flywheel and add another small tab of metal to the advance side of the trigger to final get his engine to idle good and take the throttle. The fuel mix is close to perfect.

Adjustable ignition? well that sure sounds interesting. After looking at our engines the only solution was to move the trigger tab on the flywheel. After studying the situation machine work would be required to move the pickup module.
Been out and around the neighborhood with mine the hopefully the centrifugal clutch will start seating soon same with the new drum brakes. Sure brings back good memories out putting around on that bike.

Guess you have heard we have been making an American made auto clutch for both versions of the Whizzer[vintage and New Edition].

Have already shipped well over 200 for the new edition bikes, and over 20 for the vintage Whizzers [we are currently tooling up for the vintage clutches].

Most of the OHV Whizzers are converting to the new clutch as it is the only one that will hold up with the extra power.

You can remount the ignition sensor and the flywheel trigger in a totally different location in order to advance timing past 23 degrees. I am running the advance at 35 degrees on my 1999, and 40 degrees on my Dirt Drag Whizzer.

Have fun,

You have peaked my interest again, one the different location for the ignition where and how, the other is the OHV engine. Sounds like your new auto clutch has caught on.
I have noticed that the two different ignitions fire the plug at different locations on the flywheel trigger one as the leading edge of the trigger contacts the sensor the other at the trailing edge.

Back