Who likes to break the rules?

I started riding before helmets were invinted I think. Same thing with seat belts. I bought a new bike in the '70's and it came with a helmut. I tryed it out and liked it. I will not ride today without one or buckling up. I do very much resent the laws that force me to so. No form of government should tell a free man how to dress! If ya got a $10.00 head buy a $10.00 helmut!

When I was a kid I was not riding on a local street on a bicycle that would do 40mph and yes there was plenty of times I fell hit my head riding a bike most of the time I did not and no I was not accident prone just a normal hill jumping on my bike kid .
Now with the shower if there was a chance of be ran off the road wile showering then yes I would wear a helmet , if you fall in a shower you are not doing 20-30-40 MPH and you are not taking a chance of being ran over so falling in the shower has nothing to do with weiring a helmet.
To me it's just plain and simple PART OF RIDING SAFE IS WEIRING A HELMENT (regardless of how good of a balance you have) and hope you never need it. As far as the pro's go when you in your back yard on private property that's one thing, don't weir a helmet but when you are on a public street with a MP bike that will do 40MPH with cars on that same street you weir a helmet enough said.

You are delusional if you think that you can control what your head hits.
Stuff happens in ways that you have no way or time to avoid.

Helmets really work and the alternative of not wearing one can be
life changing or ending.

I completely agree with MBR.

It also must be said that physics and gravity are the LAW
When people try to outsmart the "law", the "law" wins every time.

There are two sorts of safety. Primary safety avoids or reduces injury, secondary safety assists survival of the injury.

I suggest aiming for condition number one and dress for condition number two.

An aspect of helmet safety that is unknown to many: a helmet is a one shot device, and once it has been in a violent impact which would have caused/did cause a notifiable head injury (including concussion), it should be scrapped and replaced. I always did this with my motorcycle race helmets, much to the bafflement of my co workers when I did it after a race weekend.

just my 2 cents................

ME ... Helmet, heavy jacket, jeans, 20 MPH. EXPERIENCE 350 ' in the air walking on a
12 " wide beam with safety harness. Too bad a safety harness' won't protect us on the road.

Moral :

If you want to ride stupid. Fine that is your choice. Just don't expect me to pick up the tab at the emergency room when you crash and burn OK ? Thanks. Now I'll shut up.

OK, if you want to wear a helmet good deal, if you DID hit your head as a kid I'd say you need one.It's been proven over and over that bike helmets (those styrofoam thingos) do nothing to help you in serious accidents with cars,which is where you are most likely to get it on these bikes, these helmets help when you doof all by your lonesome under 15mph, so my bathtub argument stands.Too much salt can cause a stroke, have you seen someones quality of life after a stroke, cigarettes can too cause a stroke, do any of you smoke, where does the line end?If you're going to wear a helmet go the full nine and wear a REAL full-face motorcycle helmet.I'm all for people being able to make up their own minds not swayed by "but this might happen" scare tactics, just because it happened to one DOES NOT mean it will happen to all.
So again, do what you will but be sensible, take a step back and look at the whole picture, not just what's being virulently shoved down our throats by Nader-like media this decade.
Now for some good reading, the first link, even if you don't agree, read the comments you will laugh! Now the second link you read and look at the pics, looks like everyone there is doing OK AND they're not a bunch of gelatinous gooey lumbering hulks that look as if they have no skeletons (like our Wallyhell breeders).
http://www.metafilter.com/108910/What-is-wrong-with-bicycle-helmets
http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

Last edited:
There are two sorts of safety. Primary safety avoids or reduces injury, secondary safety assists survival of the injury.

I suggest aiming for condition number one and dress for condition number two.

An aspect of helmet safety that is unknown to many: a helmet is a one shot device, and once it has been in a violent impact which would have caused/did cause a notifiable head injury (including concussion), it should be scrapped and replaced. I always did this with my motorcycle race helmets, much to the bafflement of my co workers when I did it after a race weekend.

agreed Ludwig

There's the other scare tactic, someone might have to pay for your mistakes, guess what, you pay for other peoples mistakes ALL THE TIME they're called your taxes!

Back