Who to buy a kit from?

didn't know they were still making caliper brakes, be sure they're adjusted well for good stopping power - rear chain stay looks thin, but a piece or two of hard steel handlebar shims should seat the tensioner firmly for you

didn't know they were still making caliper brakes, be sure they're adjusted well for good stopping power - rear chain stay looks thin, but a piece or two of hard steel handlebar shims should seat the tensioner firmly for you

Funny you should mention brakes, right away before I even rode this thing around the block checking for things that needed addressing before mounting an engine on it, I noticed the back brakes were WAY out of adjustment right from the assembly room at WM. And while I was adjusting the brakes, I also checked the rear spokes and found more than a few that were very lose right from the factory, also found more than a few on the front as well. Just goes to show you can't trust a new bike from a big box store.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade those brakes. Ebay search for "79-99mm cruiser tectro". Those brakes are pretty much the best brake upgrade you can do with that frame as there are no disc brake or vbrake mounts.

Sounds to me you are going to love this hobby.

Well maybe, I've always been into tinkering with stuff, bikes, motors, just about anything really, never motorized anything that wasn't designed to have a motor on it though. Obvious this isn't like a lawn mower, car or motorcycle like my Kawi ninja, but similar in the way they all have engines. I guess only time will tell if I enjoy this hobby.

I'll tell you like I'll tell anybody.

Expect to spend 200$ on a kit and 200$ on aftermarket parts and tools.

Oh you've seen them for sale for 120$ for the 66/80cc? You'll need the 80$ you save toward the aftermarket budget that just went up to 280$ in aftermarket parts because you bought a cheap zeromodifications kit (and it's an illegal and imbalanced engine size).

400$, every bike is different and needs different s**t and once you think you have everything you need, go buy the tools you wished you had to build it with.

That being said - I buy from KingsMotorBikes because they deliver quick, that's because they are located close. I have an account with them and have spent a good amount of money with their business so I get treated well when I call them up, and when I need parts they are the fastest to get those parts to me. There is no difference in any of the kits - and to people who want to prove me wrong, I have a catalog of 60 different modified 2 stroke model kits through my bulk motor sales retailer, and I can assure everyone NONE of you have a modified kit - and NONE of the American shops house their catalog in stores.

What most people recognize as a modified kit is just an aftermarket parts salesman who puts a 20$ part on a stock kits and raises the price by 60$.

I showed a Chinese CNC company 8000$ toward engines and they gave me a catalog, all the American shops are about 30 years behind the times. Of course when I need parts how long is that gonna take?

My point is, buy from the nearest retailer so you can effectively buy parts sooner as can be possible and they'll treat you just as good as the next guy, but if you want a difference, there really isn't one.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and upgrade those brakes. Ebay search for "79-99mm cruiser tectro". Those brakes are pretty much the best brake upgrade you can do with that frame as there are no disc brake or vbrake mounts.

Well I'm going to upgrade the brake pads for sure, probably try to find some KoolStops for it. Do the calipers really make that much of a difference?

Yay!!! If you have any issues with the build we'll help however we can ;). Just be sure to provide pics if it may help us understand the issue better, and you should be on the road in no time :D.

Well I'm going to upgrade the brake pads for sure, probably try to find some KoolStops for it. Do the calipers really make that much of a difference?
Definitely. The cheap sidepulls on the bayside cruiser are pretty bad, especially when combined with those painted rims. Probably the worst rim brakes on the market. The technology is inherently inferior when it comes to stopping power and those calipers in particular flex and are a pain to adjust. The koolstop pads will help, but do you really want to cut corners on one of the most important parts of the bike when it comes to safety? Upgrading to dual pivot is cheap, simple and much easier to adjust. Bike first, motor second.

Last edited:
Back