Who uses a motored bike as a daily commuter?

One thing I had to do was replace the screws/nuts on the fenders with nylocs........

Chopper said:
One thing I had to do was replace the screws/nuts on the fenders with nylocs........

Just be careful of the fenders shearing free.. I had my rear fender chew the crap out of my rear tire. It broke that was not fun so I just took a good heave and ripped the thing off as I did not have the capability to remove it with tools. Found a dumpster and there she lay in rest.

Fenders are a bad idea me thinks I am trying to come up with a way for them as I sometimes go through mud it helps alot... However I am not willing to risk damage to the body for fenders shearing.

I bought my kit with the intention of riding to work (9 miles one way) as often as possible. I still ride my peddle bike in sometimes but have about 4 miles of wide open flat road that is brutal with a headwind. my kit has not been that dependable so far but thats likely more my fault than its. I'll keep tinkering but even with the bike dependable the weather here in Iowa will only allow me to ride 2-3 days a week.

I have been riding my bike 3-5 days a week. my commute is 6 miles each way. I live in South OC and I get some pretty strange looks on my bike. This bike is saving me at least $60 bucks a week. My Truck gets about 12 MPG. This bike is going to keep the miles down on my truck and it is giving me a fun and inexpensive way to get to work. Plus, it only takes me 5 minutes longer to get to work rather than driving. The motor has already paid for itself. The only drag is trying to figure out how to troubleshoot these 2-stroke motors. Thank you all on this Forum who give such great insight and help all of us knuckleheads out. I can't thank you all enough.

Ben :) :) :) :) :)

I've been commuting 12 miles round trip for a week or so now and I must say...I love it!! It is so much easier that dragging out the Harley. Just jump on and go!

Chopper said:
ibeenjammin said:
Plus, it only takes me 5 minutes longer to get to work rather than driving.

Isn't it amazing how true that is.... :)
I actually get there a few minutes sooner if I really haul-butt :devilish: . Traffic chokes up here in Tucson, and cruising the bike lane, you get a free pass all the way up to the intersection. When light turns green, some of those suckas way in the back get caught and have to sit thru another nightmare light cycle :censored: .
6 days/wk, 14miles/day. 84miles/week x 52weeks/year= 4368miles! Wow ! Put my Kingsmotor on in April of 2006. Only problem so far w/engine has been clutch, and thats my bad for doing clutch starts. I even ride during the Monsoon season, yellow rainsuit n' all.

So far all I've done in the 333 miles I've rode my bike is... In order... lossen up some spokes (that I tightened up fixing it), break a mounting stud going 30MPH with all the vibration I've got from a 44T sproket, and last jam up my bike while going 25MPH with my rear friction pad brake (which ended up with me making an awsome 8 foot skid mark sadly brakind 4 spokes in the proces of braking the wheel). I've survived every thing on my bike though with getting no injuries except for stiff hands and 1 burn mark on my leg. All worth it so far even though now because of my broken wheel and replacing rear brake pads I need to pay about $60. Plus about $70 for a good hygrolick brake disk so I don't have to worry about getting the front brakes jammed. :eek:

I am glad to see your problems haven't discouraged you :D
unfortunately, with the extra pounding our bikes take, (not designed for vibrations or speed) they need to be maintained to the best of our ability
I am lucky enough to have been riding mountain bikes for a long time (25+ yrs)and learned the hard way how to fix my bikes
(when you can't afford to pay a shop, you have to learn to do it yourself)

now this is sad. i watch the clock at home looking forward for it being time to go to work so i can ride lol. i also told my wife i have to leave a whole lot earlier with the bike because it takes so much longer to get thier when i acutally leave early so i can cruise around before i go in. i can get their in almost the same amount of time as it takes with my pickup;)

Back