Who would want us gone?

grinningremlin

Local time
11:23 AM
I have some theories, and would like some input from all the "far more intelligent than I" people on this forum.
Who (corporations/single man business/state-federal agencies, etc) would have a vested interest in getting MAB's off the road?Money being the obvious carrot (not getting their cut), the only ways to do it are:
1) scare us off
2) tax us away
3) regulate to the point of too much hassle.
Thanks for any input

Good question. i don't think there is a big group of people plotting to keep us off the road, per se. Motorcycle companies know that a lot of motorized bike riders will move up to riding their products. Manufacturers of conventional bicycles realize that we are motorizing a lot of their current products too. I think the riders that get hassled the most live in states where there just are no laws on the books to account for street use of motorized bicycles. That forces the policemen to make judgement calls. We pay plenty of tax on the gasoline we use.

That's a leading question. It could suggest some persons or entities out to get motored bikers.
There is no conspiracy. The whole entire MAB market is a minuscule, micro niche. The USBL reports there are 60 million bicyclists in the US who regularly use bicycles. The gas MAB market is insignificant compared to that, by my reckoning it wouldn't even total 1% of it at any moment in time.

Also, what is meant by "us"? Gas bikes? eBikes? All MABs are not created equal. For example gas bikes, a 35cc 4 stroke rackmount on a decent bike is a whole different ballgame than a 200+cc engine jammed into a bicycle frame. One is a motor assisted bicycle, the other a fake motorcycle. It seems fairly clear to me that state agencies and LEOs would easily deduce those obvious differences as well.

The question of legality is one largely influenced by behavior, either self-regulate or you will be regulated upon. If someone has a noisy, smoky 2 stroke and is determined to annoy the neighborhood by buzzing around all hours of the day, look to come under scrutiny.

Yeah, we pose no threat to any big organization. Laws against riding motorized bikes have more to do with issues of safety and hassle-factor for cops. It's easier to outlaw m-bikes than hassle with regulating engine size, top speed, lighting, roadway, etc.

I agree we are "small-potatoes", but,...
If you didn't own an MAB, you had an apparent disdain for all things "bike" including bikers, belittling the whole endeavor; why would you frequent a motoredbikes forum?It's just a strange puzzle.There are the usual three kinds here, those that are asking questions, those helping, and those scanning info.I can't wrap my head around the anomaly of being part of a forum where the subject is silly to you, other than trying to sway others in some way.

Well, the way I see it is..............."It's just a matter of time!"

As these MB's continue to gain popularity there will be new laws set. Uno, as well as I do, that the more and more they see out on the road, it will be brought up to take further motion on MB's. ONCE AGAIN, MATTER OF TIME

It comes down to statistics: when there are only 10 motorized bicycles riding around and 10% of those riders are irresponsible and reckless, then it's only a single person who is upsetting the neighbourhood.
When 10,000 motorised bicycles are riding around, it's now 1,000 people who are upsetting the neighbourhood, and politicians are quick to jump on any law and order issue that can get them reellected to office on a law and order platform (which the public falls for every time), and that gives police the legal framework to harass and persecute the other 90,000 sensible and respectful motorized bicycle riders.

So, guess when it gets pushed to all legalities of every true motorcycle on the road, MB ers can either hang it up on the wall in man cave, or go out and buy a true blown motorcycle of there choice?!

That would put the motorcycle-industry, or those who build customs on the hotlist.If held to those standards it would be easy to snip us, there are no DOT approved bike tires (that puts tire industry on the hotlist).Granted just my theories, can't even call them conspiracy-theories I'd need at least 5 in cahoots.Just hope I'm too old to see it happen.

A good friend has done the due diligence and is nearly finished putting together a state-by-state data base on gas MAB regs in the US. A complete and up to date one btw because what we've seen available online is sketchy. (shoot a PM if you have a serious interest) A large majority of states are good with <50cc and <2 HP. I maintain and always have that threats to gas MAB legal viability will come from exceeding these practical limits, IE: making fake motorcycles. That's what happened in NY and WA state so far where gas MABs have been all but banned.

Back