Why didn't I do this sooner?????

You have to remember, these are only bicycles, and the motors are only "assist engines". They are not meant to be run like a farm tractor hauling big loads of stuff all over the country side.

Hear hear, again well said. Sometimes I wonder when I see discussions of speed, performance, hauling, etc. just what folks don't get about motor assisted bicycle.

Their website seems to misinform people about motored bike laws and friction drive.

Yeah, that could be clearer but I'm sure they don't mean to misinform, more like an omission really since they say:
Check your local laws to be safe.
I think they are simply trying to differentiate MBs from other classes of motor vehicles.

As far as their comparing their set-ups to friction drives, heh, well I wouldn't expect them to be saying it don't matter which one you buy, lol.

Stressing the spokes on just one side is a no no.

A beefed up rear wheel is definitely an asset for the long haul but remembering that pedal starts are the norm for overcoming start-up inertia with most MB drive systems, the GEBE drive assembly operates well within acceptable tolerances to operate problem free. Whizzer has been using a sheave assembly for decades.

The Florida laws are goofy.

It seems a lot of cops in Florida still do not know electric bicycles are legal !

We got a lot of work to do !

If that guy is able to haul that piano with his bike, that is great for him. But some people expect to put an engine on their bikes and haul that same piano up to the top of Pike's Peak mountain while doing 30mph the whole way up.... :rolleyes:

Hear hear, again well said. Sometimes I wonder when I see discussions of speed, performance, hauling, etc. just what folks don't get about motor assisted bicycle.

Yeah, that could be clearer but I'm sure they don't mean to misinform, more like an omission really since they say: I think they are simply trying to differentiate MBs from other classes of motor vehicles.

As far as their comparing their set-ups to friction drives, heh, well I wouldn't expect them to be saying it don't matter which one you buy, lol.

A beefed up rear wheel is definitely an asset for the long haul but remembering that pedal starts are the norm for overcoming start-up inertia with most MB drive systems, the GEBE drive assembly operates well within acceptable tolerances to operate problem free. Whizzer has been using a sheave assembly for decades.

To be clear, if you have a wheel with a freewheel with gears then the wheel is offset.

What is the offset on an old Whizzer wheel ?

I have the GEBE kit with the Tanaka 32cc and a heavy duty rear wheel and I love it.

I have over 1600 miles on it in 4 months and have not had any problems at all. It worked perfectly from the start.

It goes 32 mph on the flat, which is pretty fast on a bike. On short hills or gentle slopes, it barely slows at all.

On longer hills that are moderately steep (maybe 5%) it goes 25 mph as long as I pedal hard. On long steep hills (10%) it slows to 18 to 20 mph. On my pedal bike, I would be struggling to climb those hills at 5 mph.

I love my GEBE. It is an adreline rush!

You are right about them only attaching to half the spokes, and also about cheap wheels. But that doesn't mean that as soon as you ride your bike it will fold in half. I have purchased heavy duty wheels with 105 gauge spokes and have also zip tied them. I have over 100 miles on this setup and it runs as true as the day I bought them.

I agree that the weak link of a GEBE system IS the wheel itself. I bought the system with the 105g wheel with the drive ring already installed to cut the installation time down to a minimum (and make it easier per Julia). No snapped spokes or any problems. BUY the wheel and have a better GEBE experience !!!

I don't believe Whizzer wheels are dished at all being single speed.

For gearing requirements both Whizzer and GEBE drive rings are large circumference and attach nearer the spoke nipples.

The GEBE drive assembly I have is a pretty nice set-up, gets the nod when there is any amount of wet on the roads or chance of rain in the forecast.

I know, that makes them stronger. The more they are dished the weaker bicycle wheels are and stressing the spokes on just one side like that is a no no.

We should not deny that and we should suggest keeping a close eye on the spokes.

If just one is broken then that bike should be parked until repaired.

They don't talk about this stuff much on their website. We do !

I know, that makes them stronger. The more they are dished the weaker bicycle wheels are and stressing the spokes on just one side like that is a no no.

We should not deny that and we should suggest keeping a close eye on the spokes.

If just one is broken then that bike should be parked until repaired.

They don't talk about this stuff much on their website. We do !

Fair enough.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on these things regardless of the manufacturer. I wouldn't say GEBE needs to be singled out or negligent in this regard. All MBs require a bit of improv thinking and common sense.
The majority of HT's pull from the spokes. Many here have reported broken spokes using friction drives. I've broken more spokes mountain biking and yet to break one on a MB.

One very good thing about the GEBE folks is they make themselves available for customer support and questions.

Back