Why do you ride a motorized bicycle?

I justifyed buying it for commuting(i have to buy 91 for my bimmer $3.75 ouch!), but after about 30 seconds after i got it started it just became the funest/cheapest toy i have ever owned. For 200 bucks it doesnt get any better:D

I motored my Schwinn while I was living in North Dakota to combat that infamous Canadian North wind. Full-fendered Schwinns are NOT fun to ride against a 25 mph wind!

These days, I motoride because gas costs too much to waste it sitting in SoCal traffic. Besides, there are a lot of hotties on beach cruisers around here :D

The social interaction that comes with owning a motored bike is amazing. Our cars insulate and hide us from our neighbors and community. We can pull up in our drive way and hit the garage door button and pull in and never see a neighbor. Now wat starts out as a joy ride on my motorbike ends up being an hour long visit with strangers, police, kids....
My kids went to visit their mom this weekend and just for kicks I rode my bike across town to my daughter's softball practice. She thought it was so cool for all her friends to see her dad's bike.

I got sick of waiting 20 minutes for a bus and then riding the bus 40 minutes through rush hour traffic to get to work 3 miles away. I was looking for a cheap moped to get me there and I came accross this site, which at the time had about three forum topics but a handful of very helpful individuals. I bought from Dax and got going about 2 weeks later. Nowadays I ride to work when I'm not carpooling with my wife, she's going on maternity leave soon, so I'll be doing that a lot more soon!

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and live in Brattleboro VT which is all hills. Extended pedaling (10 min or more) can kick up the CFS enough to put me in bed for a day and it is miserable to endure. This lets me enjoy bike riding and Vermont is a beautiful state to ride in.

I put a HT on my Panasonic 10 spd touring bike and after a lot of work making it legal for VT (has to be registered as a moped w/insurance, lights, etc & inspection) it is a gasser! It takes me back to being a kid again. I wish I had that old English 3 speed I had when I was 12. My only gripe is getting flats. Pulling the rear wheel off is a pain and takes the better part of an hour to change a flat. It has enough nuts to get me up most hills and all hills with some pedaling.

It is less anxiety producing than riding my Suzuki GS450 T for errands and I don't need to dress to the nines to ride it. It is still just a bicycle to me. I wear a bike helmet anyway. Now on cold nites I'm wearing my full face motorcycle helmet to keep my wig warm.

I like the attention it gets. Almost always someone wants to know the details or to get a closer look. I've met a lot of people with it. Even took it to a motorcycle block party with Harleys etc and everyone dug it.

The HT seems to be getting stronger every day after riding it for about 3 months. Just got a speedo and it looks like I log about 40 miles/ week and am getting 100+ mpg.

I am also a gizmologist so I really get a kick out of the fact that I built my own transportation.

I won't really break even on cost for about a year vs my 19 mpg minivan. Sooner if gas goes up again. I like deceiving myself into thinking I'm saving oodles of money. I am saving miles of wear on the minivan.

rather than ride the bus -- my MB seems to get me there same time as bus travels
so I perfer to ride my MB -- offers way more freedom than the bus

even if I have no plans -- I enjoy riding my MB just for fun
had my first motor bike (no pedals) at the age of 6 or 7
once it's in the blood -- IT'S IN THE BLOOD -- little MBs flowing through the veins

I think that many here have seen the MB Therapy thread
I find MBs to be one of the best forms of therapy

I Love To --- Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I ride for a lot of the same reasons you all have stated, but top line for me is talking about it with people. Bums, doctors, brokers, housewives, hookers, crackheads, kids, criminals, priests, mullahs, lawyers, pilots, smart people, stupid people, fat people, skinney people, policemen, clerks, jerks, whinos, thugs, pimps, nuns, plumbers, truckers, suckers, and bald headed mother-%$#@. You will find the child-like curiosity in all people, no matter their lot in life. Even the computer geeks think these things are cool. My favorite people of all? OLD PEOPLE. They spin tales of Whizzers and old tymers and Harleys with pedals, and "I used to have one of these" stories. If I'm in a hurry, I get in the cage and ride. If I want to savor every inch of the trip, I pull my aptly named Happy Time out of the garage, and putt down the Avenue, like it's 1910!

the riding was really a bonus for me ... it was really something i worked on real hard when i was younger to do -- every kids dream-- but i absolutely love bicycles and i love mopeds and just decided that it was time i completed that dream... basically from now on ... its gonna be how far i can go with the projects ya know... and by the looks of all the pictures ... you guys have similar ideas it seems.

Back