Why do you ride a motorized bike?

Matt Barrack

Local time
9:14 PM
I made a thread like this earlier, but I want to try to be more clear. Why do you ride a motorized bike? Why, if so, do you prefer to ride a motorized bike?

Some of my reasons:
Cheap and easy to build
Good way to learn about motors and modding, without spending a ton of money
Most places don't require licenses to ride one
Overall a fun way to ride around

Yeah sorry I helped take that off topic, didn't mean to. :oops:

The dual means of propulsion: I will be using the pedals a lot for stealth in places where engines aren't allowed or are a bit antisocial, and to get home when the engine breaks down.. which I expect will happen a lot. :oops:

The low rolling resistance of comparatively narrow wheels and tyres.

The availability of cheap used bicycle parts.
The large choice of interchangeable parts that allows me to build a unique bike that both fits me physically (stature), and fits my needs and style. :cool:

My familiarity with bicycle parts and bicycle mechanics.

The low fuel consumption of the small engines.

The lightness of the motorised bike to be able to lift it over fences, gates, up stairs and whatever. Easy access to places where any other motor vehicle can't go. :)

Yeah sorry I helped take that off topic, didn't mean to. :oops:

The dual means of propulsion: I will be using the pedals a lot for stealth in places where engines aren't allowed or are a bit antisocial, and to get home when the engine breaks down.. which I expect will happen a lot. :oops:

The low rolling resistance of comparatively narrow wheels and tyres.

The availability of cheap used bicycle parts.
The large choice of interchangeable parts that allows me to build a unique bike that both fits me physically (stature), and fits my needs and style. :cool:

My familiarity with bicycle parts and bicycle mechanics.

The low fuel consumption of the small engines.

The lightness of the motorised bike to be able to lift it over fences, gates, up stairs and whatever. Easy access to places where any other motor vehicle can't go. :)
It's fine, I'm not that worried.:) Those are some pretty good reasons, too!

I made a thread like this earlier, but I want to try to be more clear. Why do you ride a motorized bike? Why, if so, do you prefer to ride a motorized bike?

Some of my reasons:
Cheap and easy to build
Good way to learn about motors and modding, without spending a ton of money
Most places don't require licenses to ride one
Overall a fun way to ride around
Motorize bike barely snags the word transportation.

A bicycle is form of cruel unusual punishment something a judge hopes you self inflict for DUI license suspension. I think everyone who knows there is such a thing as motorize and does not get one is insane! Unless you have a lot of luxsury fat really need the exercise.

For me its the closest I will get to having a true honest Indian motor-bicycle. This one I'm building now which is my first is using a GT2A frame but will be using a sportsman flyer frame for next build.

For me its nothing to do with transportation just a hobby.

I am retired, the motorized bicycle is just another one of many hobbies that I can spend the day doing something that I enjoy.

I went from the middle of the back country with a bunch of snow and snow machines and dirt bikes and atvs for the muddy weather and having a lot of free time to tinker with the things I loved to a city with terrible drivers, terrible buses, and relatively good road maintenance when it comes to clearing snow, and a lot less free time.

Naturally a bicycle became an actually useful type of vehicle to me in the city, and I can't help but play with motorized death traps, so the inevitable happened and I fell in love with the hobby. It wouldn't actually be as fun without the challenge of not getting my ass kicked by a 150 dollar inanimate object, at least as a last resort I can drop it on a slab of concrete and smash it into tiny pieces with a hammer so it fits easier in the aluminum scrap bucket. Then buy another a week before that event on eBay and go on my laughing way.

A motorized bike costs a lot less than a 50cc vespa style scooter (except for a few Chinese scooters).
-No tag and insurance in most states (sorry CA and FL)
-It is much easier to maintain your motorized bike than a motor scooter IMHO.
-Its a lot of fun to make a lot of your own brackets and other parts. Cut, drill and bend.
-Painting and customizing a motorized bike can be done for very little money. You can re-purpose many common things.
-You can build a chopper, bobber, Dirt bike, skinny tire road bike, cruiser, classic Stingray, ratrod, board tracker, etc.
-They make good pit bikes.
-They can make good commuters.
-I ride a 125cc scooter, but at the 50cc level, I prefer a motorized bike.

I personally built mine for cheap transportation, because I've had horrible luck with cars lately. This bike has been a pain, but I honestly love my little bike. It's cheap fun and it catches people's attention. I love getting questions about my bike. I wanted one for years and now I've got one, I wish I would have done it years ago.

Back