Why does everyone hate 4-stroke bikes?

Watch this series it makes alot of sense. Try attaching a catalytic coverter to a 2 stroke the oil and carbon would fill the honeycomb in no time. You would have to clean out the exhaust frequently if it was powering a car. If there was an oil that didn't burn you'd need some sort of catch can even if it worked. Ethanol gas is bad for 2 strokes which is everywhere at the pumps. Dan has a point you can tune a 4 stroke Chinese engine nearly as cheaply as a 2 stroke if you know how to do it. Look at valves/pistons/rods/rockers for the 49cc/53cc engines it's basically a similar price as 2 stroke replacement parts. The crankcase is part of the cylinder= no air leaks on the base gasket or replacing base gaskets. 2 months or 2 years I'd rather have 2 years out of an engine. You can't ride to work on a bad top end very long but worn 4 strokes will still run if the rings are shot until you replace them. The 2 strokes start scoring the cylinder it seems whether it's grit or carbon.

Last edited:
Watch this series it makes alot of sense. Try attaching a catalytic coverter to a 2 stroke the oil and carbon would fill the honeycomb in no time. You would have to clean out the exhaust frequently if it was powering a car. If there was an oil that didn't burn you'd need some sort of catch can even if it worked. Ethanol gas is bad for 2 strokes which is everywhere at the pumps. Dan has a point you can tune a 4 stroke Chinese engine nearly as cheaply as a 2 stroke if you know how to do it. Look at valves/pistons/rods/rockers for the 49cc/53cc engines it's basically a similar price as 2 stroke replacement parts. The crankcase is part of the cylinder= no air leaks on the base gasket or replacing base gaskets. 2 months or 2 years I'd rather have 2 years out of an engine. You can't ride to work on a bad top end very long but worn 4 strokes will still run if the rings are shot until you replace them. The 2 strokes start scoring the cylinder it seems whether it's grit or carbon.

hehe, i rode my dads old JAWA moped for a LOOONG time with an unseized crap top end before a rebuilt it, 2 smokes will run with barely any compression if you spin them up enough ;)

different strokes for different folks

It would be cool to do an MPG 3 month test as well as oil cost on a 49cc 4 stroke vs 66cc 2 stroke. A total loss oil system means you have to add oil every time you fill the tank. The HS142 takes according to the manual 7.2 oz of cheaper 4 stroke crankcase oil.

Last edited:
I switched to 4 strokes back in 2002. A distributor of Grubee here in Detroit told me the epa was stepping in and I should switch to 4 stroke. He pulled out Hushang 4 stroke Hmm...I never looked back. For me 4 stroke is a cleaner ride. Less grease flying and I don’t smell as much like a gas can.

Look better, sound better, install better, more mods, more class, aren't overbpriced and less mickey mousing.

Yet a lot of 2 stroke weedeaters and 50 cc scooters used catalytic mfflers on their exhaust systems. You don't need special carbs of fuel injection as the CG engines leak enough air fuel into the exhaust to keep the cats lit. And they burn up the oil just fine, no coking up.

Back