Why does everyone hate 4-stroke bikes?

4 strokes are awesomeness...
A bit more weight,,, a little wider,,, they normally come with floaty valves when their over reved,,, and they seem to have nice grunt off the bottom end of the power band...

I have a 4-stroker waiting too go into a bike...
20201109_194127.jpg

There's no love or hate in my riding and building projects,,, i share the love equally... Ha...

I like 2-smoke engines since they are great on fuel mileage,,, clean too the environment,,, last a long time,,, easy to inspect and service,,, jug and piston change for under $30 Cnd funds...
Narrow and lite weight,,, and whisper quiet...

Ive been lucky with all 5 builds,,, we have a few more 2-smoke units too run off,,, then start a 4-smoke series...
20201201_125322.jpg

20201201_125255.jpg

Lets build and ride,,, lifes just that simple...

JT

well, here's another thing, currently there are 4 ways to go about building a bike.

Cheapo kits (cg, clone grubee 4 stroke kits), expensive kits (staton, Golden eagle, etc) , or custom (either cheap boneyard type or GreasyChris high roller custom type)

Really it comes down to how people want to build their stuff, what they want out of it, their skills, and budget

ever heard the saying "you got million-dollar dreams but only a 10$ budget"

if you want dead simple reliability, custom fabbing is the way to go (ie custom motor mount, designed transmission, some kind of general-purpose motor) and that will last you pretty much forever, but that takes time, money, and resources to make happen.

im currently planning on putting a 3hp briggs on my old 1970s monarch bike, should be a fun one.
mark20.
I'm new here, 68 years old. I want to put a motor on a TREK bike (used 21" bike, 26" 2.00 tires) I bought a few years and it's just been sitting around in the garage....
I want a motor bike to ride around the neighborhoods about 1.5 miles one way. I just want to ride not race. I have looked at electric bikes and used lithium batteries in flashlights. The cheap batteries are cheap and not worth buying and the good batteries are expensive and it appears the batteries for a bike could be $150.00 or more.... I'm looking at the BBR Tuning 38cc 4-Stroke Rear Axle Drive Engine Kit. What do you think? Any suggestions.

Sam Kale

mark20.
I'm new here, 68 years old. I want to put a motor on a TREK bike (used 21" bike, 26" 2.00 tires) I bought a few years and it's just been sitting around in the garage....
I want a motor bike to ride around the neighborhoods about 1.5 miles one way. I just want to ride not race. I have looked at electric bikes and used lithium batteries in flashlights. The cheap batteries are cheap and not worth buying and the good batteries are expensive and it appears the batteries for a bike could be $150.00 or more.... I'm looking at the BBR Tuning 38cc 4-Stroke Rear Axle Drive Engine Kit. What do you think? Any suggestions.

Sam Kale
If you want something to putt around on that's reliable and and don't expect speed, look at the Staton kits. Most other kits will need parts replaced to be reliable. The staton kits appear to be bulletproof, only problem I have is lack of speed (sounds to be a non-issue for you).

mark20.

Sam Kale

if you can find that kit in stock, it looks like a good kit, BUT i haven't used it, so I cannot tell you if they're any good or not.

also, there different axle lengths and sizes, that one is meant for a cruiser bike but could fit others.

you might be better off piecing together a more quality kit for around the same price.

or a cheaper "bolt-on kit"

49cc 4 stroke is probably best option where are you located somewhere flat or inclines? 1.6 hp gets you about 28mph I know since I had a subaru 35cc. 49cc can achieve mid to high 30's. 35cc is not enough hp for steep inclines but you would be going past regular cyclists the speed would drop to jogging speed that was my main gripe with the gebe kit. for $17X you can go right up 25% grade going a steady 15-18mph where 35cc will bog down to 5-10 mph at times.

No hates a big 4 stroke... Ha.
20210101_135102.jpg

Get out there and thump...

Thunder in the Valley is gooder...

Jt

Ive opened 3 brand new two stroke engines amd they'll all had clutch issues, sucks for the guy who gets into because they think all they had to do was follow instructions. Truth with 2 strokes, not all instructions are included, including on bikeberry or youtube, you may some how end up pulling gears and looking for tiny "woodruff" keys that hold too much for its size, then you might wonder if its a f*** job by the same people who made golf so expensive, and are messing with you for thinking you could open a " Two Stroke" engine brand new and install without any problems.

I'm going on my 6th build and NEVER had a clutch issues with any of the motors I bought.
I'm thinking you don't know jack sh*t with what you doing !!

I'm going on my 6th build and NEVER had a clutch issues with any of the motors I bought.
Most of the 2 stroke clutches need adjustment from the factory if you want them running perfect. Most will run kinda ok from factory, some are set by a 4 year old kid destined to be a walmart greeter. Who knew that children getting paid $0.50 an hour couldn't set them properly from the factory. God knows children can't blueprint engines...

Im thinking you your not a builder dont have any titles and pull gears off your motors hunt down woodruff keys put it back together and say you never had a problem.

Back