Why is everything MADE IN CHINA?

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
5:43 PM
This is more of a gripe session than a question but why is everything made in china. Have we not learned everything they make is bad. We buy their engines, their bicycles, etc etc. I bought an sae and metric tap set and they are horrible! I can take a file to them and take off material and they are full of burrs and aren't even made correctly. It looks like they are toys. No offence China but stick to making little kid's toys. Fed up from the last few years of this hobby having to deal with their parts. From now on I will try to use better components. It may be time for me to go get a class M and a real bike. I have wasted alot of money on things I shouldn't have. I could have enough for a motorcycle by now probably. Either that or invest in a good bike as a platform and go from there. The few Japanese options of motors are getting phased out completely as they discontinue their motors and now people are buying ripoffs of Japanese designs. What happened in the 80's and the 90's that made us source everything from China I want a history lesson.

You can get plenty of good s**t from China, just have to shop carefully. I buy a ton of stuff but most of if is from Amazon with reviews. When it comes to these bikes I buy a lot from Bicycle Motor Works and CR Machine because they are better than most vendors. The only problems my bike gives me are something I did.

You can get plenty of good sh*t from China, just have to shop carefully. I buy a ton of stuff but most of if is from Amazon with reviews. When it comes to these bikes I buy a lot from Bicycle Motor Works and CR Machine because they are better than most vendors. The only problems my bike gives me are something I did.

Good vendors they are.

This is more of a gripe session than a question but why is everything made in china. Have we not learned everything they make is bad. We buy their engines, their bicycles, etc etc. I bought an sae and metric tap set and they are horrible! I can take a file to them and take off material and they are full of burrs and aren't even made correctly. It looks like they are toys. No offence China but stick to making little kid's toys. Fed up from the last few years of this hobby having to deal with their parts. From now on I will try to use better components. It may be time for me to go get a class M and a real bike. I have wasted alot of money on things I shouldn't have. I could have enough for a motorcycle by now probably. Either that or invest in a good bike as a platform and go from there. The few Japanese options of motors are getting phased out completely as they discontinue their motors and now people are buying ripoffs of Japanese designs. What happened in the 80's and the 90's that made us source everything from China I want a history lesson.

Sometimes i feel the same way.

Ride Safe! :)

HP

China should follow in its neighbors’ footsteps. Taiwan and Japan have much better quality than China. I was looking at a GIANT brand mountain bike which is Taiwanese for $400. It has dual discs from the factory as well as a suntour fork. Would probably last 10 years or more just as a pedal bike but a modern Schwinn probably won’t. The guy at the bike shop even said schwinn used to be a good brand but now he won’t even sell them. It’s sad that someone seeking motorized bike quality and safety has to go the extra mile. Sometimes I think it’s not worth it.

Well trump has put in where china needs to start paying up if they want to bring there goods into america and that usually caused imports to drop in price- yeah i know doesn't make sense in a way but Trump does not want to keep dumping money into china and wants to bring economy back to the us if we are going to get political but when Clinton signed the free trade agreements into law no one finished it right and china ran rapid with it and took advantage of it

China has a large population thus more workers for the factories. As I recall Japan has something called the 6 sigma which is like a mantra for manufacturing. At this point motorized bikes aren’t very common and it isn’t every day you see someone on one. Small motorcycles are a better choice for commuting something like a Honda super cub would probably be what most need. India has a lot of people that ride motorcycles. Here in the us it’s mostly cars except for the random Harley or 2. Motorcycles are the minority of the road. Driving a car just isn’t the same. It’s like driving a house down the road.

The importer pays the Trump's tariffs, or taxes first, then passes that tariff/tax on to the consumer, the prices of these Chinese goods will be increasing.

Why doesn't anyone make these engines and bike parts? Simple, hard to compete with China's cheap labor and material costs. Most of our steel and aluminum is imported, and also now subject to tariff's which makes USA manufacturers pay higher material costs. If you have a few million laying around, try opening a foundry factory, your neighbors will have you jumping through hoops for the next 10 years keeping that smelly thing out of their town.

We used to have a smelly foundry a couple miles from my house (Ford plant, iron foundry and engine assembly). Now it's a giant parking lot, but the forge is still there. Probably too tough to tear down. Lots of jobs went down the tube when they shut that down.

China has virtually no environmental regulations. You want to dump toxic waste, China is the place to do it. Google Beijing air quality if ya don't believe me. Environmental compliance costs money, and the Chinese just don't spend it.

_99466646_77b5dc60-5b87-4dd7-a751-ed70970881ad.jpg

b**ch all you want about hippies and the EPA, but at least we don't need a respirator to cross the street.

People used to get their goods from China a long time ago were talking silk road. Gunpowder, ginger, spices stuff like that. I have heard about their pollution problem. Maybe all the pollution is why the weather can go from -5 to 60 degrees F the next day. If there were cleaner ways to make products that would be a lot of work to convert all these factories to somehow convert gasses. So I'm not really bitching I just wanted a backstory on this. China makes a lot of plastic products, rubber and other stuff and since you can't go anywhere without seeing something made in china I'd imagine there is thousands of factories.

The sad reality is if you want a quality build, you have to stay away from Chinese parts and products. The downside is that it can be prohibitively expensive to buy American and sometimes custom fabrication is your only option for some parts.
I have nearly $600 in just the frame/fork/headset on my current build. It's a lot of money, but it will be something that will last for years and I can pass on to my grandchildren.
With the money that you spend on a good, quality build, you could easily just go out and buy a motorcycle. I could have, but that's not the point. The blood, sweat, thrown tools, empty wallet and headaches are outweighed by creation, satisfaction and the end result of something that is uniquely yours.
To mirror your sentiment, I agree that the Chinese "toys" that are available are pretty much not worth it in the long run. It is frustrating.
I get it. ;)

Back