Why is my carb (exterior) dirty?

Lunatuck

Local time
10:32 PM
Does anyone know what would cause all this dirt around my carb? I clean it daily. This is maybe 2 miles worth. I keep thinking its an air leak, but in that case it would show up mostly around the interfacing surfaces.

But, the area below, behind, above and beside the carb are all clean.
CDD377F7-9CC8-4C34-AEE8-AF4CDD917DF9.jpeg

Your headgasket looks like it's not completely sealed on the carb side of the head. Try snugging down the bolts or replacing the gasket (if it's copper just torch it to soften it back up for reuse).

I'm willing to bet that crud comes off fairly easily, clumps together and is somewhat oily. That is soot from the combustion chamber, my pipe doesn't have a perfect seal and I get that exact same buildup just under the gasket on the block.

If you get under the engine and shine a light at the underside of the head, you'll probably see the marks of where its blasting out.

Your headgasket looks like it's not completely sealed on the carb side of the head. Try snugging down the bolts or replacing the gasket (if it's copper just torch it to soften it back up for reuse).

I'm willing to bet that crud comes off fairly easily, clumps together and is somewhat oily. That is soot from the combustion chamber, my pipe doesn't have a perfect seal and I get that exact same buildup just under the gasket on the block.

If you get under the engine and shine a light at the underside of the head, you'll probably see the marks of where its blasting out.

Hmm. Its definately sooty. I see some below my head gaskets, but its not obvious where the source is. Either way, I guess the solution is the same. Will try tightening them up. Thanks.

Use a torque wrench. 12 foot pounds

This is a one piece head, so I need to use allen keys. I tightened it a bit, but don’t have any way to get my torque wrench on it.

I may need to do some tool shopping tomorrow.

Start the engine and hold your hand close around the head and see if you can feel any air shooting out, you might have to rev it a bit.

Yes. Vikingmike is correct, but I presumed he meant the gasket holding the one piece on. I tightened it using a wrench on a allen key. Couldn’t figure out how to get a torque wrench on it.

Ill keep an eye on it.

Does anyone know what would cause all this dirt around my carb? I clean it daily. This is maybe 2 miles worth. I keep thinking its an air leak, but in that case it would show up mostly around the interfacing surfaces.

But, the area below, behind, above and beside the carb are all clean.
View attachment 90150
I'm sure this is not it cause how would it get there, but it looks like what you see when a tire is rubbing on something. Almost like a granular rubber.

Back