Why is this so difficult?, about to give up.

axmanboss

Local time
10:48 PM
After replacing everything on my first build 3 times, cdi, magneto, magnet, carb, i couldnt get it to run, very mad after religiously following all you good peoples advice i went and bought another 100cc motor. (found out it was the keyhole, i still have that engine, and keyhole should be called bum hole because it is one crappy design), Put it together and BOOM fired right up i was ecstatic, took it on a store run and was amazed it made every hill, and ran like a champ, on the way home coming down a hill i suddenly noticed the front fender was about to come off, looking to pull over to fix it, too late, i woke up in an ambulance and spent the night in the hospital with multiple broken bones and road rash i never seen before, (im 62 and i guess not so invincible).. The fender jammed the front wheel and stopped on a dime throwing me like evil kenevil. The bike faired well, bent front forks and front and rear fenders destroyed, i fixed all the things mentioned and went to fire it up, no go, i wasnt getting spark so i went strait for the keyhole and it was out, after 4 hours i glued it in with gorilla glue to get the magnet in, and got spark, but it seemed weak, so i have all these parts i started a process of elimination changing out parts one by one it still wont start. Got fuel, got spark but i dont know if its enough, i cant even get it to cough, extremely disappointed, the good part of the ride was amazing. ?The engine didnt sustain any damage besides landing upside down on me, i cant afford another engine, i still have the first on, did glueing the bum hole in do something?, i dont know of any other way to put it in, sorry so winded, any help would be appreciated. My name is Joe.

After replacing everything on my first build 3 times, cdi, magneto, magnet, carb, i couldnt get it to run, very mad after religiously following all you good peoples advice i went and bought another 100cc motor. (found out it was the keyhole, i still have that engine, and keyhole should be called bum hole because it is one crappy design), Put it together and BOOM fired right up i was ecstatic, took it on a store run and was amazed it made every hill, and ran like a champ, on the way home coming down a hill i suddenly noticed the front fender was about to come off, looking to pull over to fix it, too late, i woke up in an ambulance and spent the night in the hospital with multiple broken bones and road rash i never seen before, (im 62 and i guess not so invincible).. The fender jammed the front wheel and stopped on a dime throwing me like evil kenevil. The bike faired well, bent front forks and front and rear fenders destroyed, i fixed all the things mentioned and went to fire it up, no go, i wasnt getting spark so i went strait for the keyhole and it was out, after 4 hours i glued it in with gorilla glue to get the magnet in, and got spark, but it seemed weak, so i have all these parts i started a process of elimination changing out parts one by one it still wont start. Got fuel, got spark but i dont know if its enough, i cant even get it to cough, extremely disappointed, the good part of the ride was amazing. ?The engine didnt sustain any damage besides landing upside down on me, i cant afford another engine, i still have the first on, did glueing the bum hole in do something?, i dont know of any other way to put it in, sorry so winded, any help would be appreciated. My name is Joe.

Thank god you lived another day to ride…

The woodruff key…
When you install the rotor magnet it has a tendency to pull the key off and out of the crank slot.

The key is steel and a magnet will attract it. It winds up stuck to the back of the magnet and you can’t see it.

I squeeze the crank with channel locks where the jaws are right over the slot. This slightly deforms the slot so when you do push the key in it’s in there kind of stuck. It doesn’t take much of a squeeze. The crank metal is soft. The magnet won’t pull it out.
I make my advance keys out of aluminum. It’s easy to shape with a dremel and file. It won’t get pulled out with the magnetic field.

A good way to be sure the key is in place..Once the magnet nut & washer are installed run it down hand tight and give the magnet a good left right twist to make sure it’s locked in place.

After a crash, I would go over everything electrical - wires to switch gear - and make sure there are no loose connections or partially broken wires.

I would also check the fasteners on the engine as they do tend to loosen up, especially the head nuts on the studs. If those are loose you will have a loss of compression.

Also make sure things like the carburetor, intake, and exhaust are tightened down properly and sealed. Air leaks in particular will cause starting and running problems.

I was warned about fenders by a few here as soon as I posted my first bike pic.

I tried reinforcing the mount but the beer can thin metal fenders started breaking outside the reinforced mounts.
I really liked the look of the fenders but I was not all in with the work needed to make them safe so they came off.

Here they are now..stashed under a table…been there a good long while. Don’t know why I haven’t pitched em. I think I’m a hoarder sometimes.
Usual mental note….Don’t throw that thing away… I might use it one day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 11
Usual mental note….Don’t throw that thing away… I might use it one day.
I was brought up by parents that remembered the Great Depression when they were kids so guess what got indoctrinated into me ???...lol...lol.
Don't throw it out, It can be used for something...lol.

I had a set of extra riding lawn mower deck spindles that I was keeping in case I needed them. In the process of going through stuff for moving I tossed them. About a week later my buddy called me up and asked if I could get his mower working again. Turns out those spindles I threw out would have worked on his mower, which needed spindles lol

Back