Why only CG builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hyper build had one bottom and two top ends. Never broke down on me. The second top end was because I ran it lean while figuring out the carb. The thing you need to know is this engine lived 80% +of it's life at full throttle. It also has a brand name and better castings than ebay junk engines.

Instead of starting a thread on the lack of 4-strokes why not just stfu and build it???!! I put 15k on this 212, you might have found out about it if you used the search

Attachments

• DD4B90A1-EBF6-4CCA-B832-AF39FBDBFE93.jpeg
    DD4B90A1-EBF6-4CCA-B832-AF39FBDBFE93.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 183
Was just thinking the same thing honestly. The moderator doesn't seem to care. It's too bad for the good people like foti and others.

Funny I’ve never seen you make a post, just occasionally chime in. Must have been over a year ago.
Funny I’ve never seen you make a search, just occasionally start threads that been posted by so many others. Must have been over a year ago 😂😂

Yeah if I need information I go do the research as much as I can until I’m sure I need to start a thread. And typically nobody can answer my questions when I start one. and I don’t spend all my time posting. That is why I don’t have 1300 posts in under a year. On the other site I have about 1000 posts since 2012; but I can assure you I have spent far more than 1000 hours researching and building. Sounds like this board is a popularity contest for you guys.

To acquire wisdom you must first learn to listen.

I bought my Amazon 48cc because I didn't want to have a big investment in something that might die in 200 miles. If this engine doesn't work out, I've got a Honda GX31 and X-7 pocketbike transmission that 's going on as a rack mount.

Frankly even though there are some terrible flaws with the CG engine I bought, I've been able to ride the bike as a commuter into town and on some longer backroad excursions.

The faults are numerous. the eccentric 10 tooth final drive sprocket, the rag-joint big wheel sprocket mount, which I modded to a cush-drive bolted to the left spoke flange, ( and hasn't made a lick of trouble yet, knock on wood.)

The awful lack of clutch quality, ( no more bearings on the inner clutch body with these Ebay/ Amazon cheapy 48 cc engines..) which I see as something in favor of these, as long as you can spray some lithium grease into the steel to steel wearing surface. I try to avoid running the engine much with the clutch pulled in, it clatters a lot. I'm not sure what clutch bearings FNTPuck is referring to, the clutch shaft support bearings I suppose.
Which on mine I just gave a generous squirt of axle grease into the area underneath the clutch cable stop post, it's made it's way to both sides of the output and clutch side bearings and they're both running smoothly. I don't know how you could easily press apart the clutch assembly with basic home tools.

The gears don't align well and make a bit of a whine, you have to grease them every 300 miles. Not to mention that the pinion gear in the transmission comes with a big dose of red locktite and is often out of alignment.

Despite all these issues, the engine starts easily enough and has enough power to do nearly 28 mph, which is way faster than my simple old J.C. Higgins feels safe at. 400 miles so far and it's been OK, nothing has rattled off the bike, what cylinder noise it's made from the beginning is still the same.

I'm going to say for $109 bucks it was a good deal, I treat the engine as a pedal assist and don't run it WOT. they seem to have little in the way of thermal mass and probably heat soak too easily.

Last edited:
I paid 115 back in 2017. the worst part really is the poor clutch. but 850 miles later I still luv my 48cc CG. I took it on 3 long trips. longest was 150 miles bone stock kit and nothing happened. there's some good ones but it's a roll of the dice. heard many horror stories!

My main gripe about these engines is the fact the instructions are less than adequate, unless you can watch a YouTube vid about assembly, the fuel line is pure crap, and the tank mounts are dangerous.

It appears the fuel line sent is some sort of silicone based like glow fuel, model airplane engine fuel line. I just replaced mine because it had hardened up in 3 months time. How much would it cost to put in the box a 12" chunk of 6 mm Tygon?

The 4mm althread 'studs' they tack weld into the fuel tank bottoms are really bad. We've already heard a couple people locally who had them start leaking. I'm cutting mine off and doing a Velcro mount using black ABS plastic pipe hose clamped to the top tube.

My main gripe about these engines is the fact the instructions are less than adequate, unless you can watch a YouTube vid about assembly, the fuel line is pure crap, and the tank mounts are dangerous.

It appears the fuel line sent is some sort of silicone based like glow fuel, model airplane engine fuel line. I just replaced mine because it had hardened up in 3 months time. How much would it cost to put in the box a 12" chunk of 6 mm Tygon?

The 4mm althread 'studs' they tack weld into the fuel tank bottoms are really bad. We've already heard a couple people locally who had them start leaking. I'm cutting mine off and doing a Velcro mount using black ABS plastic pipe hose clamped to the top tube.

Best thing I have found for those is to not put tension on the studs. Use two u-brackets per side to clamp the tube with the studs keeping the tank just off the top tube. Tension is what causes them to pull out and leak.

Even better, get the 1gal tank. It does not have studs, it has mount tabs with holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back