Why only CG builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
2:59 AM
Why does everyone just build MB’s. With China girl motors? Just curious. Very few staton, gebe and friction drive bikes with auto clutch. Not much recent in the way of custom builds. I see a few non kit motorized bikes I saw one with a ryobi and mark’s 97cc bike. It gets to the point I’m tired of seeing the same flawed engine being used. I’m not a racer I just like to ride around. Yes I know they can be modified and all that but we’re talking about an engine with no markings. I’m pretty much a 4 stroke/jap 2 stroke guy now. No wonder they have so many flaws there’s no brand name. Even Lifan and Harbor freight predator engines are of good or semi good quality (Chinese). Low quality 2 strokes wear out too fast. Previous Japanese designs even being 2 stroke could last a really long time like the old purefire Tanaka and mitsu which are gone now. I guess I got here too late. Even if you professionally build a CG you will have problems with the stupid clutch assembly it almost always oscillates and wobbles. Did it on every motor I’ve seen so far 3-4. Little things like the 3 pins holding the plate to the clutch- one of mine came mislodged and I could move it with my finger. It then was scraping the clutch cover. High revving and weird throttle response I didn’t like either. To make a cg semi good you would have to replace all internals just leaving the case. The cylinders are junk and the sleeved ones are incorrect. There is improper shimming on the wrist pin. People have said their crap girl has ran for 10 years but don’t reveal how many miles. There are garages you know that you can park a bike in for several years. I tell some of these people just to order a Chinese moped/scooter and have it shipped that way they can be legal but most of them are too young or have done the old 4 wheel intoxication. Why go 30mph on something illegal when you can just get something with a proven 4 stroke engine that can last in the 10’s of thousands of miles and the bike can be registered. At this point I’m willing to try out a real moped and get a plate 🏍. Be my summer ride and work on my class M at the same time.

It's a cheap engine, easy to install, easy for most gearheads to work on. Plus there are tons of parts for em.

People were asking what you're asking 10 years ago. Sure a 4-stroke is better in most metrics, but the chinagirl is a real bicycle engine. Heck, I paid $115 shipped for my kit and I'm surprised how much better it is in quality compared to kits I bought 10 years ago.

It seems that a cg build is a lot more fun when you have other bikes too, at least it's that way for me LOL

Done my share of cursing at cgs, but I find myself riding my HT48 more than my HS49 these days. It's quieter!

Won't the gx50 be heaver and slower than a cg while being 3 times the cost? Men will be colonizing the Moon and people will still want lightweight cheap engines for the bicycles here on Earth. CGs fill that niche so great i don't see them being replaced until EPA won't let us use them.

But 3 or 4 times the life is worth it. The other day I tested the Subaru on the mountain bike and it made it up the steepest hill around the roads here and I never had to walk beside it. Keep in mind it’s only 35cc and 4 stroke. I rode for 2 or 3 hours yesterday. It was flipping 75 degrees out and this is Pa. Is it true that CG’s can overheat? Not sure about heavier because CG’s are pretty heavy most of the weight being in the crank. I’d say the gx50 will be slightly less heavy. The plastic cowling and gas tank doesn’t weigh much and they’re designed to be light because it will be attached to a trimmer or brush cutter and you have to hold it for long periods of time. The Subaru is really light actually compared to the CG. If you were eluding to me having a cg that never works I will tell you since getting the Subaru I’ve not have one problem with how it runs after washing the carb with just hot water. Went 37mph the other day ducking on a slight downhill clocked by neighbors bike as he passed. He also gets mad at CG’s but is still running a bikeberry stage 3 even though he always says he wants to run something else. I say why not. The problem with cg’s is illegal displacement and never having to pedal. If cops hear a dirt bike sounding 2 wheeled vehicle coming they will certainly stop you after they see you. I’ve been to a local town 3 times so far on mine and all I see is people smiling and looking because it’s not loud and I guess not many people have them here.

Last edited:
Bwahahahahaha, wait till the infamous mighty GX50 arrives folks! Perfect MAB motor.
As soon as I can get one I’ll try it out. By that point people will probably still not have heard about it though. People complain about price but end up wasting the amount they could have spent on things that break or wear out. Ironically the rack mount setups seem to be on the wayside and the pics I see are 8-10 years old. I guess people just don’t want a good setup anymore. China wants money and as long as were here they will get it. You give American dolla! Lol all jokes aside do you think there’s a reason there’s no production 2 stroke street bikes anymore? Also we don’t sell any Chinese brands of cars. They even copy car designs who would have knew. The Mini Cooper is one they copied. The moral of the story is if you’re adjusting and fixing more than riding you need to change things. Especially if it’s angering you and making your neighbor hold random unreasonable grudges. The gebe setup can go in the front or the rear. It’s a universal mount and any 76mm clutch motor will bolt on. Try attaching a CG to the front of your bike. The center mount strap can be trimmed or drilled to where you need it. $375 isn’t a big deal after you use it for a few years. That’s just my take.

Last edited:
The HT is 5 & 1/2 inches wide. It fits in the centre of the frame, low down, between the crank arms of most bicycles. Mounting it to the frame is very easy.
No offset mounts required on most bikes, so the weight is centred while still allowing the engine sprocket to line up with the rear wheel sprocket.
The HT is a comparatively very inexpensive way to learn about 2-stroke engines and how to build an engine. It is comparatively inexpensive to experiment with. There's less risk involved in making experimental modifications.
They may start out as a generic no brand engine but because they are unfinished they (can) end up unique.

(Personally, I wouldn't unbox and bolt one straight onto a bike. I regard them as unfinished, so not an engine yet. You build your own unique engine.)

Cgs are used because they are cheap, small, can fit in most frames, are easy to mod, cheap to repair when your mods break them(lol), and can have great performance. They can be made reliable, but are notorious for breaking down because most people have their priorities backwards and would rather make their bikes faster before making them more reliable first.

As for the clutches, I clean them out and rebuild them with larger and stronger G25 stainless bearings and high temp graphite grease which removes almost all the slop and makes them nice and smooth while lasting much longer. Less than half the play on the bevel gear side by side with a stocker. Stock use terrible chrome plated soft steel bearings that are probably G50 or worse rated and are basically as cheap as you can get lol. For my personal bike I used G5 rated ceramic which are even nicer, but expensive (almost 10x!).

With just an upgraded clutch, steel sleeved cylinder, and copper gasket I can probably build one to get thousands of miles more than normal out of a chinagirl for around $100 extra. I've been offering that service for MONTHS though and not a single person has wanted it though (although a few have bought the clutches). That goes back to most riders being cheap as hell lol.

I don't really blame them too much though since to be honest, that extra $100 can instead get you a 7G belt drive 49cc setup that will be quieter, automatic, easier to ride, and still more reliable. They are just slow and can't be modded much :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back