Why shouldn’t I use fenders?

INTP_ty

Local time
3:40 PM
Are all those old threads I keep seeing pre 2012 crankshaft era?

Aren’t the bikes at wallyworld kinna obvious?

632AD4F8-B04B-4CA0-B797-F5738CBDDD85.jpeg

Who's saying you shouldn't use fenders?
I can't believe so many bikes come without them. Only time they're a problem for me is when they get packed with snow. (doesn't happen often here!)
Just make sure that YOU did a proper job of mounting them.

2 words Chinese steel + 2 stroke. Many fenders are so thin they rattle and break at the tabs. That old bike in the pic should be fine though. Plastic fenders like on a dirt bike are better suited for 2 strokes since they’re durable and bend instead of cracking.

I would recommend fenders unless you like wearing road grime. That old frame looks sweet!

I overtightened the U-bolt up front (the engine mount) & put a crease in the tubing. I’ve been kicking my butt ever since. Who knows if it split on the inside. If I get it welded, it’ll probs crack on me from the stress of the engine!

I overtightened the U-bolt up front (the engine mount) & put a crease in the tubing. I’ve been kicking my butt ever since. Who knows if it split on the inside. If I get it welded, it’ll probs crack on me from the stress of the engine!
Something I'm planning to do anyway to my downtube, is to JB Weld some (halved) tubing over the area of the front engine mount U bolt clamp for a good few inches, probably a few inches either side of the clamp.
It might be less good than welding, or it might be better.. I'm not sure. It's better for me because my frame is aluminium and would want to be heat treated again after welding, and also because it's something that I can do by myself.

Fenders ftw. They make it possible to ride in the rain, and keep the dirt/dust off you especially on the front. With a front fender you can ride at high speed with your visor open. But you have to mount them well. I made my own brackets for the fork mount to help support the metal. The last time I serviced it I noticed the fender steel had cracked all around my bracket and was about to come off. That is when I removed them! But I put thousands of miles on with fenders. If you don’t ride daily you should be ok.

Also remember that the smaller the gap between fender and tire, the less off-roading you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back