Why shouldn’t I use fenders?

The aftermarket ones like the Planet Bikes are decent, their front fenders are set up to 'break away' if you get something jammed between the tire and fender. The downside is they're specifically for bikes with fender eyelets, so mounting them to a bike with no eyelets will take some adaptation.

this think looks cool but he just zip tied the front fender on. The only way I can see to mount these is the middle brake mount hole. I will have to figure something out for my next build. I want to build a bike that I can have a moped plate on so fenders are required. I think the dirt bike plastics look better than the thin bicycle fenders personally. Crf 50 plastics might work good.

Last edited:
As someone who lives in Oregon's near constant rainy weather, having fenders that are full coverage are better if you just have unsuspended forks.

I get nearly zero splash front and back on my bike in the heaviest downpour. Those mini fenders look cool, but they really don't keep the rain and muck on the road off the bike and yourself as well as full coverage fenders.

Fenders ftw. They make it possible to ride in the rain, and keep the dirt/dust off you especially on the front. With a front fender you can ride at high speed with your visor open. But you have to mount them well. I made my own brackets for the fork mount to help support the metal. The last time I serviced it I noticed the fender steel had cracked all around my bracket and was about to come off. That is when I removed them! But I put thousands of miles on with fenders. If you don’t ride daily you should be ok.

Also remember that the smaller the gap between fender and tire, the less off-roading you can do.

That’s a nice looking bike. What frame is that? It looks stretched.

I like the seat and tank in the video, the dirt bikey look. always wondered about mounting tanks like that or any motorcycle tank for that matter

I like the seat and tank in the video, the dirt bikey look. always wondered about mounting tanks like that or any motorcycle tank for that matter
I think he used some rubber pucks and drilled a hole in the frame. Ya it looks cool like a homemade motoped. If I did that I would try a huasheng 49cc though. Have you ever heard one of those with a straight pipe? they sound great. I saw a vid of a bike online but I can't seem to find it now.

Step Up to bigger 212 race bike, the bigger the pipe the deeper the tone.....................Curt

Step

Back