Wicked fast-Crazy fast

S

smitty

Hi folks. I've been absent lately, and decided to drop by to tell you the latest.

First, I thought about where to post this, (In the Whizzer section?). I decided to post it here, (If someone thinks differently please move it.) because this bike is now as wild as one could hope for.

I've been upgrading my Whizzer bike recently, and all I can say is, it is now too fast for a bicycle, but don't get me wrong I'm happy that I've done it.

I started with a 1999 WC-1 (Lucky me) the first thing I did was upgrade to Quenton Guenther's NE top end. That alone was amazing. (All you Whizzer folks really should talk to Quenton. He is an invaluable resource, and incredibly generous.)

Because I was having carburetor issues,(running too rich) Quenton suggested a high lift cam, and mushroom lifters. (Did you know he lightens the lifters?) The cam he sent me was marked 'HOT' on the gear.
When I installed the cam and lifters, I also installed a 26mm carburetor that I had for another project. (Another story, another thread.)

This engine now enters it's power band at around 25 to 27 MPH, and pulls HARD, to WELL over 50 MPH. My speedometer stops counting at 40 MPH, But the needle stops counting at the back side of the zero pin, on the flats. On a decline I'm sure it could make (or brake) 70 MPH. Believe me when I say that's waaay too fast for a bicycle.

Now my advice here, to all you Whizzer folks who are searching for a solution to the slow start-up from a dead stop: Fit out your engines with Quenton's tricks, (and then find a 26mm carburetor, Quenton can make an adapter plate) then install a small clutch pulley for the low gearing. I think you'll find that your bike starts and pulls just fine, and I'll bet you also find it plenty fast enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's amazing is all that with just one gear. Imagine what it would be like if it even had just one other gear.

Wow! That sounds awesome! I would love a whizzer! But i think it is on the fine line between motorcycle and motorized bike, would be soo cool though.

The other day I replaced my speedometer. As it turns out I don't know how fast this bike goes. The one that broke (in the fall),( I don't mean autumn,) read much faster than the replacement. The new speedometer will read 47mph to 50mph top speed OTF (on the flats). I thought about installing a digital speedo to check the analogue, but then a friend offered to loan me a GPS unit. I'm waiting for the loan, I'll post again later.

It's been a long time (again) but I'm back (again). As far as pics, My Whizzer looks just like any other Whizzer, basic black. All the changes are on the inside.

Well, I did borrow the GPS unit and the current speedometer reads just a little over what the GPS reads. When the stock speedo reads 27.5mph, the GPS said 25mph. It seems pretty consistent though the whole range. When I took it out, I wanted to know just what the bike would do and I managed 51.2 mph down a slight slope with a stiff tail wind.....and that's plenty fast.

Wow! That sounds awesome! I would love a whizzer! But i think it is on the fine line between motorcycle and motorized bike, would be soo cool though.

iIndeed..... I'm kindof surprised by the many Whizzer and frame mounted people are seemingly are unaware that the first motorcycles 90 years ago were put on bike frames as you are now doing now. Their creations visually identical to the very first motorcycles. Much better though thanks to advancements in metallurgy and engine technology.

50+ Mph ? ....(can't find the bug-eyed drooling icon)

But we all do seem to all enjoy re-inventing the wheel.

Michael

Last edited:
Back