Wide pedal cranks issue

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
9:29 PM
How to stop left wide pedal nut from loosening? even with blue loctite and electrical tape it loosened. Drilling through the crank arm and spindle and riveting it? seems like the only option. I know its bound to strip the threads if it keeps loosening as it happened before. Nylock maybe but the ones I saw were flanged and too tall/wide.

You could drill and screw the crank arm.

Or drill the pedal from the peg end.

Use a flat washer and a rivet(or screw) to secure the pedal.

If you don’t have a washer, drill a hole in, and use a penny.

It costs less than the cost of a washer.

I've had this exact problem before. I found that no matter what bolt/washer combination i tried it would always loosen up. Came to the conclusion it was a soft crank arm so the square would literally stretch out. I changed it out with a different crank arm, tightened it down once and it's been tight ever since.

How to stop left wide pedal nut from loosening? even with blue loctite and electrical tape it loosened. Drilling through the crank arm and spindle and riveting it? seems like the only option. I know its bound to strip the threads if it keeps loosening as it happened before. Nylock maybe but the ones I saw were flanged and too tall/wide.
Crank it down tighter. And when it won't go even a smidge more... get a bigger wrench and go another quarter turn.
Seriously.
And stick with the blue goo too.
If those threads are already kinda hammered, this might not be the best solution but if they're pretty serviceable then 1/4 turn more.
If you're seriously considering the rivet idea, then maybe just weld it. Add material rather than weaken it by drilling it. Just a thought.

Whatever you do Will I'd fix that correctly or it could be a real ball buster and ruin your day.

No and either way I could get the crank with bolts instead of nuts and put the arms on it. I already tightened the nut with a aluminum pole and a ratchet. It seems to be one of those green yamaha nuts since at the time couldn't find the nut. Last ride didn't loosen but 2 rides ago did.

No and either way I could get the crank with bolts instead of nuts and put the arms on it. I already tightened the nut with a aluminum pole and a ratchet. It seems to be one of those green yamaha nuts since at the time couldn't find the nut. Last ride didn't loosen but 2 rides ago did.
For sure the bolts over the nuts. Have a great success with that combo. But I use a Bosch impact and crank that puppy down.

I thought that opposite sides had opposite threads so they wouldn't come loose.
Only the bottom bracket and the pedals use the left hand thread. If the crank arm used em, (which makes sense), then the nut would continually be tightening itself. I never understood why they didn't.
But there's lots of things I don't understand...

Back