wider crank spindle

wildnwooly

Local time
10:09 PM
i am attempting to install a 80cc happytime on a '86 schwinn sierra mountaIN BIKE, THE CRANK SIDE PEDAL CLEARS BY 3/4".

PROBLEM IS LEFT SIDE HITS ENGINE BY 3/8". I CANT FIND A SPINDLE THAT IS LONGER. THIS IS AN OLD BIKE AND PARTS ARE HARD TO FIND. IF I COULD JUST GET A LONGER SPINDLE THAT ALL THE OTHER HARDWARE WOULD FIT ON/

:???:

There is a company that makes electric motor kits for bikes that mount down around the bottom bracket and they have a couple of longer BB Spindles for the old style cup bottom brackets. I just tried to search here for the threads that have links to this company but didn't find them. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Augi provided the link I remember but perhaps it was one of the threads that was deleated? If you go this route you need to be aware that you may adversly affect the chain-line for your pedal drive train.

ocscully

i have been researching for 2 days now. i found out the type of spindle i need.
it is a JIS(japanese industrial standard?) square taper bottom bracket spindle.

on a chart i found on the internet it would be a 3X. it is a 68/133mm which means it fits in a 68mm shell(that is the part of the bottom bracket that the axel sits in, and 133mm long not counting the threads. in fact the threads are either a screw or bolt type.

Now i am having much trouble finding it as it is so old. :eek:

Attachments

• 133ab.jpg
    133ab.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 380
more...

Good, my picture worked. The picture is of the old spindle. the new one would look very much like the old one but with the dimensions on the picture.

i posted a picture in hopes someone will se it and say "oh, ive got some of those laying around", or know where to get one.

heat and bend

i think murphys law has taken effect here as the crank arms are aluminum. i dont think i can grind off as much as needed without weakening them.

i looked for the crank kits on other sites and havent found them yet.

where i bought it, spookytooth, they have some crank sets that i dont think will work, but dont know yet as there are no pictures and very little descriptions. waiting for email reply on that.

i was kinda hoping some people here had converted mountain bikes before that could help?:???:

gotta love having to special build a part just for you bike!
Maybe find an old spindel ,cut off a side and have a welder weld it to your spindel for the extra length.Alum doesn't bend(well)and grinding it would weakin it--so modifing the arm seems to be out.

ocscully is my hero!

you wouldnt believe how much i have researched and looked and called and posted, etc. to find something like that!

i cant believe nobody even vendors if they read their own forums or this one seem to be brain dead when it comes to a problem like this.

literally, i was so disillusioned with this project i was going to take a sledge hammer to the motor. seriously.

two products on that link would work out perfectly. i thought i was explaining my problem correctly, and i thought maybe people just didnt know or were uncaring as to my particular problem.

the products are more than i wanted to pay, but i couldnt get a resolution at any price.

i am sure there are problems to come but getting past the fact the pedals hit the engine pretty much nixed all others.

i have to thank you very much and must say your are evidently very knoweldgable, diligent and thoughtful.

i went to work this morning sooo ****ed off thinking what a bunch of morons and illiterates and @$!@$s and i didnt want anything to do with this hobby any more!

ive learned to try harder and be more explicit when i have problems in the future.

ocscully, i owe you big time!

thanks

Back