wider triple tree? Ambassador?

dirtyoldman

Local time
9:15 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Ambassador (late model) has a wider triple tree than the pacemaker or other models? I want to go with some seriously larger tires but the forks are too close together. I am wondering if the Ambassador triple tree is wider than the "normal" whizzer triple trees? Or possibly I can use a certain motorcycle triple tree?

The Ambassador forks possibly are a little wider than the standard Whizzer forks because they were designed to for a 3" tire and a disc brake system. Because of the brake the wheel is offset to one side (I'm told). Also it is not a direct bolt-in replacement for the Whizzer fork. To mount one will require reengineering a number of things including either shortening the head tube on your frame or having an extension welded to the steering tube of the Ambassador fork.

You can also look at moped forks. Peugeot,Puch.I think they have the same size head tube.

Actually I spoke with Helmutt and he recommended just changing the triple tree, a certain year (I can remember the year and bike model) suzuki triple tree is a direct replacement that slips over the fork tubes and provides a wider space for larger tires. Helmutt has them available and I will be ordering one from him shortly.

Back