Wifes Trike

Well i knew this day would happen,:sick: but it looks like i am going to have to change the drivetrain on my wifes trike from friction to a chain drive.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9468&page=2
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13441&page=10

The DE kit was an adventure from the start as it was designed for the SX and not the AX trike with the cambered wheels. After weeks of trying different configs i finally got it to an exceptable fit although i was never 100 % happy... just could never get it centered comfortable over the drive wheel.

The kit is amazing quality (for the price it had better be) and is the perfect setup for friction drive on the sun ez3 SX model so kudoos to DE for a quality product, in the end it was the actual engagement handle that done the wife in, it does require a little muscle to engage/disangage it, she was having too much of a hard time with the lever.

So the next chapter begins with a chain drive from staton http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3467 driving of the redundant right wheel axle, no handle to engage this time, although i will miss the automatic engine start, put how hard is it to pull a starter handle !!!!! ( since shes out with me in tow must of the time anyhow).

Anyhow the new kit will be ordered shortly and the build will progress as soon as it arrives, anyone in the market to convert their sx or similiar trike to friction, i may have just the kit but i will probably sell without the engine, the honda 50cc is a little beauty ( i will keep that for myself.....)

Last edited:
Received an email from David today, my kit is been shipped Monday. I will take the DE kit of tomorrow and get the bike ready for my new project.

If anyone is interested, i will probably sell the DE friction drive kit minus the engine. I am hoping it is easy to take apart, engine just pull right of mounting leaving clutch still attached to framework, but nothings ever easy.

The kit is great, top quality craftsmanship, its just my wife, from the beginning had a hard time engaging and disengaging the hand throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Obsci20kc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5h3BFTpbs&feature=related

These are links to the actual kit , and you will see from the vid how well it preforms. Send me a PM if anybody is interested, this will be heavily discounted ( maybe $200 (original cost $800 + rollers) even though its been hardly used and remember it will be sold without the engine. I do have a selection of rollers and bits and bobs which will be included as well.

Last edited:
took the kit of the bike today, forget about selling the kit as is, you would have to have some serious skills to make this work, ( just for starters the threaded nut is welded onto the end of the hondas crankshaft), all said and done it doesnt take up much room so will into storage, in a box, on a shelf, forever........

Dont you know it !!!!!!

but i cant wait for the new kit to come in,

(i went with friction one of my very first kit for the trike because it is such an easy and bombproof method to start with, Unfortunately the cambered wheels were a pain in the butt and the handle became too hard for my wife to control.)

So i am hoping by this weekend a box will be on the porch so i can start all over again HEHEHE...i always get goosebumps thinking about new toys. The Staton kits are bombproof so my wife should be able to rack up many happy hours cruising to the park and back. Thankfully its been over a year without a relapse (from MS) but we can never take anything for granted, just one day at a time...

Bit later than i expected (only by 2 days) i received my fed ex delivery email today...

looks like monday is going to be happy :devilish: day, maybe get a shot at it monday night or a chance to look over the bits and bobs,
but will have tuesday scheduled blacked out.......... i have also ordered some new axle bearings so they should be hear just in time.

Fed EX Tracking info: arrived in las vegas 1.00am on delivery truck 5.40am awaiting delivery next business day....

now thats what i call emotional abuse what ever happened to sat. delivery. 48 hours of waiting and my nails are short enough already.

Kit arrived today, the box full of goodies....

IMG_2030.jpg

Well 2 parts anyway, the engine with gearbox attached,

IMG_2031.jpg

and a ziplock with the rest of the parts, 16 tooth freewheel, chain, throttle cable and some washers,

IMG_2034.jpg

whats neat is that there are not many peices to mess around with, david had the mounting hardware already attached to the gearbox. I also picked up some new bearings for the axles, so off to the garage to try and get most of it mounted this evening.

Should be straightforward build, but thats tempting murphys law and i wont have a chance to fire it up till tomorrow anyhow......

OH, i did notice no kill switch had been attached or put in the zippie i sent david an email and about 1/2 hour later i had a reply with a tracking number for the switch, he had forgotten to put it in there. Now thats what i call customer service...

Last edited:
Well after 1 1/2 hours worth of messing i have the kit attached to the bike roughly nothing threaded up yet.

here are some pics on the progress, tomorrow i will get around to attaching the chain and trying to get it up and running,

first thoughts is that it seems to be heavier than the DE kit, (most of that been the weight of the gearbox), that was on there, just waiting to see what this little engine is capable off

IMG_2042.jpg

16 tooth freewheel, those lock bolts will need some blue thread lock thats for sure.

IMG_2044.jpg

The front bracket allows the kit to be mounted at the same angle as the cambered axles :D

IMG_2045.jpg

Most of the weight is on the top bracket until i tighten up the bolts and then the 2 supports should help brace up the rig.

IMG_2052.jpg

As you can see here, inside gearbox, chain to be attached and then we are of to the races..... more updates tomorrow i hope,

Back