Will a DiamondBack Response work with a GEBE rack mount?

shawnshank

Local time
10:25 AM
This bike is one of my choices for a GEBE. I just want to make sure there aren't obvious reasons why it wouldn't work with a 40cc Tanaka GEBE rack mount system. It has rear disc brakes on the front and rear and I was planning on buying the Velocity rim from GEBE. Will that cause any problems?

SS

1131201g33n93m13le8b81c5568eb2a2d1e46.jpg

diamond.jpg

you are going to have some issues with the rear disk caliper and main mount strap clearance.

see kawasaki999 pics of his mongoose blackcomb fro possible alternatives.

steve

That's A Cool Looking Bike, You need to be able to stick a credit card between the frame 8 1/2 inches up from the real axel to check for drive ring clearence. and you can't have a quick release rear axel, I can't tell from the picture?? The front mount strap might require some creativity, but not a show stopper. The big Tanaka would be awesome on that bike, Wish i had a suspension and disk brake's !!!
I guess the only issue Iam not sure about is the cable for the rear brake might rub the belt or drive ring?? I cant tell from the photo??
Look at the GEBE web site and see if there is a bike like yours under the reviews section.
If the GEBE will fit ok, You won't be dissapointed with it, It's a rock solid system.

GEBE sells a front and rear disk wheel.

"Eagle / Velocity 26" Rear Wheel w/Disk Brake Hub:"

Also from their site,

* Any problems reported with Disk brakes?

Disk brakes put a lot of stress on spokes, addition of engine doubles the stress, maintenance might get expensive.

Some disk brakes only require the lower mount strap be spaced out with a nut/washer for proper mounting - Others find they have to grind a 1/4" wedge from the lower strap to clear the brake, still others require Serious modification of the mount and would not be recommended. Installation instructions on the 'How To' page of this website are very helpful in answering this issue.

and

*** Disc brakes (Not recommended):

1. Disk brakes are expensive to maintenance and, because of how they work, put a lot of stress on the spokes w/o motorizing. Braking stress combined with engine torque, puts stress on spokes going and coming.
2. Some disc brakes sit within bike frame, only requiring a washer or nut to space lower strap out, for clearance. Some find the need to grind or file an 1/8" sliver (crescent) from lower strap for brake clearance, others protrude so far beyond the frame of the bike that installation becomes tedious, if not impossible. If possible, we recommend you steer clear of disc brakes.

To check to see if the disk brake would obstruct clearance of Lower Mount Strap - a yardstick is helpful (or something similar).

Place yard stick on top of axle - pivot toward seat then back toward rear of wheel - does any part of the disk brake protrude so far beyond bike frame that it would interfere with the lower strap?

We encourage engine placement as close to the seat as possible for better balance. Installation details may be helpful as well, see Fig E (halfway down the page).

Actually, there's quite a few disk brake bikes in the reviews section of the GEBE website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like disc brakes. No probles so far.

Attachments

• 07-19-08_1848.jpg
    07-19-08_1848.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 497
  • 07-19-08_2036.jpg
    07-19-08_2036.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 479
  • 08-06-08_1650.jpg
    08-06-08_1650.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 718