Will Grubee 4-stroke Kit Fit Cadillac Fleetwood Cruiser Bike with NuVinci Shifting?

As far as I am concerned the hub + adapter+ extra sprocket is a special hub,the adapter+freewheel is a basic part of the hub,we can quibble as to what constitutes a "hub".In accepted bicycle parlance a hub is the complete functional assembly including sprockets& freewheels.By that standard the NV hub+ extra sprocket is a special hub,normal hubs are NOT equiped in this fashion that's why I called it a "special" hub,because that's what it is.

The NuVinci Hub comes from the factory with a freewheel adapter, which makes it a complete unit ready to install and use. Staton has designed a way to have 2 inputs,,,,,IF, you add their adapter. Does this added adapter make it a "special" hub? NO. It makes it a NuVinci hub with a Staton adapter. This would be akin to saying that when you add a Kings Custom Sprocket to your rear hub, it is now a "Special" hub. I don't think so.

Get real, there is no harm if being told you are wrong. There are people here and out there too that will think they have to buy a complete hub from Staton to achieve the same effect as just buying a sprocket welded to an adapter and installing it on their hub (which they might already own).

I personally have installed 4 (four) NuVinci hubs in custom applications. One was a GXH50 with NuVinci kit from Staton.

Misleading information, peddled by the unknowing.

HA HA HA HA,,,, I Smell Smoke. And its trying to BLOW!

Last edited:
It's all a question as to what is a "hub" and what does "special" stand for, multispeed internal gear hubs are sold as complete units ready to install,so is the NV hub,adapter and all.As far as I know you don't order a separate adapter.
In normal usage "Special",means nonstandard,the dual sprocket Staton NV hub is such a creature in my opinion,the same thing applies to your Custom Kings hub with an extra sprocket.It is also possible that there are "standard" Specials.(common ones that is)In final analysis it all boils down to definitions and accepted usage.

"In normal usage "Special",means nonstandard" ,,,"It is also possible that there are "standard" Specials."

Now if that’s not two stepping and double speak, I don’t know what is! :-|

"it all boils down to definitions"

Sounds like something Bill Clinton’s legal team would say. :rolleyes:

THE only thing special about the Staton NuVinci hub is this,

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3274

And its still, Misleading information, peddled by the unknowing.

More smoke coming soon???

Apologies to the OP for going off topic

Last edited:
So defining "special" as nonstandard is "double talk"?,just what would your definition be?.I worked in industry for many years,we frequently supplied modified equipment on customer demand,and when there turned out to considerable demand for a particular version,this was termed a "standard special".Again that was not double talk,it had a well defined meaning to our sales people.Double talk for your edification, means to intentionally confuse the issue, to purposely mislead.

That's nearly a great bike except it has no front brake, no suspension and no specs to tell you much. I think you need the measurements to be certain a Honda would fit in the frame. As for a jack shaft I think a good designer could fit one in at the rear of the seat tube but it would probably have to attach to both the seat stays because the jack shaft really needs to be attached in two places. The cadillac's seat stays don't reach the seat tube which makes it a difficult configuration to weld jack shaft supports to.
it's a big project but I reckon it's possible. Clive, a MBc member from West Australia, builds his own frames and jack shafts - see attached pics - but jackshafts take up space and designing it to fit is the important thing.
I hope you get it all to work cos it's a fascinating concept. The first frame-mounted 4-stroke with Nuvinci hub. I'll bet Clive would know a lot about how to solve this - you could try sending him a PM and asking.

Attachments

• clive2.jpeg
    clive2.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,564
  • clive1.jpeg
    clive1.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 541
  • clive3.jpeg
    clive3.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 488
Let's check of this setup is practcal from a transmission point of view, Staton will sell you a freewheel that has the extra 27T sprocket for the drive from the engine which replaces the original one.The engine turns ccw so the output has to be on the left and a jackshaft is necessary.
As to the overall reduction required at 6000 rpm, with a 25:1 reduction the max/min speeds will be 34/9.6 mph (26" wheel), with a 20:1 we get 42.5/12 and with 30:1 28/8 mph.FOI the range of the NV is 3.5:1.The best ratio depends on the terrain with steep hills 30 might be best,in the flatlands you could prob get away with 20.It is will be difficult to achieve even a 20: 1 reduction unless extremely small sprockets are used and Staton can supply freewheels with larger than 27T motor input sprockets Let's do the math,with 10 T sprockets,the product of the sprocket count on the large sprockets in the chaindrive has to be 2000 (2000/100 = 20). With a rearwheel sprocket of 27T, a jackshaft sprocket of 2000/27=74T is required, that looks impractical to me.For the same size sprockets you end up with 45T each,I don't know if you can shoehorn that on the jack shaft and I doubt that Staton will accommodate you either.With 8T size sprockets (do those exist?). we end up with 36T sprockets.for an ovarall reduction of 20.25,just in the ballparkOriginally the Staton NV hub came equipped with 36 T sprockets so maybe you can still get those.36T may be doable,I don't know about the 8T sprockets though.Does anyone have anything to contribute on this subject?

How does the 3.7:1 the Grubee gearbox has fit into this? After all, that is what this thread started out about.

That would help but probably not enough, without some extra reduction. Without a jack shaft the reduction would be 3.7* 27/11 (27t NV and 11t gearbox sprocket),which is 9.1 ,to get to a reduction of 20 we need another 2.2 (or more) reduction which would not be hard to come by. For instance 11 t to 24t(from the gearbox to the jack shaft) and then 11t to 27t (from jack shaft to NV at the rear wheel),works out to 2.18.These two sprockets would have to be mounted adjacent to one another on the right side. So from a power transmission perspective,no sweat,even larger reductions may be feasible.How all this works out spacewise is another matter entirely,I haven't a clue.

For good measure I have reviewed the torque loading of the NV hub.The Honda engine has a max. torque of 2Nm and the hub is rated at 130 this would meean a max. reduction of 65,assuming no pedal torque input,assuming 50% pedal input (pessimistic),we still have considerable margin(20 versus 32.5 reduction),so a reduction to 30:1 would still be pretty safe.It would be wise to install the Staton torque bars (a pain in the ****).This bike may have horizontal drop outs,check if they will fit!.

Back