Will huasheng problems pop up right away?

I thought huasheng didn’t have a governor?
Newer (>5 years) hs 142f and 144f engines electronically governed at the magneto, max rpm governed is 6870 rpm. Ungoverned they can go above 9k rpm if the load isn't too much. Gotta use an older flywheel and magneto to ungovern it. Can't just swap the mag as the newer flywheel is timed different.

A
Newer (>5 years) hs 142f and 144f engines electronically governed at the magneto, max rpm governed is 6870 rpm. Ungoverned they can go above 9k rpm if the load isn't too much. Gotta use an older flywheel and magneto to ungovern it. Can't just swap the mag as the newer flywheel is timed different.
Wouldn’t the power drop off around then anyway? Seems like the rev limiter would prolong the life?

The torque drops, but I still notice acceleration up to about 8500 rpm. Gotta remember the hp formula: Torque*RPM/5252=HP. Even with the torque dropping off the rpm is still climbing so hp still climbs with more rpm. I would guess I'm at about 3+ hp with my mild mods and no governor.

The torque drops, but I still notice acceleration up to about 8500 rpm. Gotta remember the hp formula: Torque*RPM/5252=HP. Even with the torque dropping off the rpm is still climbing so hp still climbs with more rpm. I would guess I'm at about 3+ hp with my mild mods and no governor.
How many extra mph did the swap get you?

When I was single speed it went from 27 mph governed to 35 mph ungoverned keeping my gear ratio at 20:1 to climb big hills. Now my 1st gear climbs hills even better and launches hard from a stop at intersections, 2nd gear can still climb fine topping out at 36 mph. 3rd is for flats and downhill, goes a tick above 45 mph on flats without wind, had someone drive behind me for that. Pegs 9k rpm with even a slight decline at 50 mph.

I've been running a 5/8" shaft Huasheng and 4G on a SBP shift kit since 2010. Engine and trans came from bicycle-engines.com. The Huasheng engine is every bit as reliable as the GXH50 it's cloned from, from my experience. It does seem have slightly less power which is likely due to the HS having less compression (7.4:1 vs 8:1). It also makes more general engine noise. But, the HS49 is a great little engine and a better value than the GXH50, IMHO.

I have never had a problem with my HS aside from the stock carb getting fouled. I've rebuilt the carb several times, replaced the carb, rebuilt the replacement several times and ended up washing my hands of the Huasheng carb (heheh). My brother has a GXH50 and replaced his troublesome Honda carb with a Huasheng carb, also had problems with both fouling easily. I believe the stock carb is a weak point. Last year I found a seller on Amazon selling an intake that bolts to the GXH50/HS that allows a 2-stroke kit carb to bolt up. Haven't had an issue since, always fires right up now.

My 4G originally had a defective clutch bell and T-belt, I replaced both in 2011. That belt is still on the trans. I apply dielectric grease to the belt once a year to keep it from cracking, although cracking does not necessarily mean the belt is about to go. My first belt was cracked all around out of the box and I beat the hell out of it without any problems while waiting for replacement belt. I run my HS+4G through a custom-geared SBP kit that matches pedal cadence redline to engine redline in every gear. I like to pedal, and my setup rewards that.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the Huasheng. Unless overrevved for long periods of time, it will most likely outlast any chinagirl 2-stroke while needing only oil changes and an occasional valve adjustment. Expect 110-130MPG, 30-36MPH on the flat, and a lot of smiles per mile!

Last edited:
Back