Engine Trouble Will start for less than 5 seconds

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Sentryy, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

I will start my bike, it will run and keep going slower and slower over 3-5 seconds and get really rough then when I pull the clutch it shut off. What could this be? I just bought it and it's brand new bike. When I got it running, if I pull the clutch or let go of the throttle it will also shut off. Any Ideas

<
  2. RAT RYDER 101

RAT RYDER 101 Member

Supp Sentryy, Watt break-in mix R U using? And are you letting it warm up after it starts? BMW (bicyclemotorworks) has a link to the PDF online to answer all your Qs. Wrench it & ride it, that's what this bike things about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  3. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

It can't warm up if I can't idle it. Using a 20:1 mix for first gallon of gas. I should also note if I loosen the air hole on the carb it leaks drops of gasoline

4. RAT RYDER 101

RAT RYDER 101 Member

Float might B sticking . If it is, pull the plug & turn the engine over to air out the chamber. The stock jet is most likely a 70. For the N.E. it would B a 65. The screw on the bowl @ the bottom is for draining it out to store it or WORK on it.

5. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

How do I fix that and how do I tell its that

6. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

first, what kind of motor, what kind of carb, and what is an "air hole' ????

7. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

All stock night rider kit from bicycle motor works. The air hole is the screw on the bottom of carb I though

8. RAT RYDER 101

RAT RYDER 101 Member

Take the drain screw out- let the gas out- Back off the bolt on the throat- turn the carb on it's side- take off the bottom and you'll see the JET(small copper screw w/ a small hole in it- if there's no#on it it's most likely a 70 jet. You'll either need to solder it or get a jet kit from Matt @ BMW.----- the noise stuff is what China calls $$$$$$$ I also got my kit from BMW, Low Rider Micargi good luck & ride it like you stole it

9. crassius

I'd guess it is some kind of 2-stroke and maybe an NT style carb - your 'air screw' may be the drain plug and should be in there tight

are you trying to start it with the choke on? that rarely works once it fires a few times

10. RAT RYDER 101

RAT RYDER 101 Member

crassius it's most likely a Grube w/NT. I'm pretty sure that's watt BMW sells in his kits.

11. crassius

possibly, but most inet sellers use a pic that is years old and sell whatever is handy : (

12. RAT RYDER 101

RAT RYDER 101 Member

indeed------I think Sentryy might have Kamakazied------we're here 4 ya Sentryy.......Sentryy? ------aren't 2 strokes funn?......... they should call them.....2 strike engines!

13. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

Do you think it's f***ed?

14. crassius

yeah, these are about the simplest things that can get you down the road - no complicated, high-tolerance, parts

you'd need a whole bunch o' things to go bad all at the same time to kill one of these permanently

start reading the steps to check in the "no start" troubleshooting threads

15. Sentryy

Sentryy New Member

I cleaned the carb and it is still running too rich and will barely start. Also having issues with the throttle not moving. Taking it to a shop Monday.