Engine Trouble Will start for less than 5 seconds

Sentryy

I will start my bike, it will run and keep going slower and slower over 3-5 seconds and get really rough then when I pull the clutch it shut off. What could this be? I just bought it and it's brand new bike. When I got it running, if I pull the clutch or let go of the throttle it will also shut off. Any Ideas

Supp Sentryy, Watt break-in mix R U using? And are you letting it warm up after it starts? BMW (bicyclemotorworks) has a link to the PDF online to answer all your Qs. Wrench it & ride it, that's what this bike things about.

Last edited:

Sentryy

Supp Sentryy, Watt break-in mix R U using? And are you letting it warm up after it starts? BMW (bicyclemotorworks) has a link to the PDF online to answer all your Qs. Wrench it & ride it, that's what this bike things about.
It can't warm up if I can't idle it. Using a 20:1 mix for first gallon of gas. I should also note if I loosen the air hole on the carb it leaks drops of gasoline

Float might B sticking . If it is, pull the plug & turn the engine over to air out the chamber. The stock jet is most likely a 70. For the N.E. it would B a 65. The screw on the bowl @ the bottom is for draining it out to store it or WORK on it.

Last edited:

Take the drain screw out- let the gas out- Back off the bolt on the throat- turn the carb on it's side- take off the bottom and you'll see the JET(small copper screw w/ a small hole in it- if there's no#on it it's most likely a 70 jet. You'll either need to solder it or get a jet kit from Matt @ BMW.----- the noise stuff is what China calls $$$$$$$ I also got my kit from BMW, Low Rider Micargi good luck & ride it like you stole it

Last edited:

crassius

I'd guess it is some kind of 2-stroke and maybe an NT style carb - your 'air screw' may be the drain plug and should be in there tight

are you trying to start it with the choke on? that rarely works once it fires a few times

indeed------I think Sentryy might have Kamakazied------we're here 4 ya Sentryy.......Sentryy? ------aren't 2 strokes funn?......... they should call them.....2 strike engines!

Last edited:

crassius

yeah, these are about the simplest things that can get you down the road - no complicated, high-tolerance, parts

you'd need a whole bunch o' things to go bad all at the same time to kill one of these permanently

start reading the steps to check in the "no start" troubleshooting threads

Sentryy

I cleaned the carb and it is still running too rich and will barely start. Also having issues with the throttle not moving. Taking it to a shop Monday.