Will The Second Engine Start Automatically?

Thanks for input, Viking. I like storming up hills and cruising at 35mph. Using two 11t or a 14t is no big deal. The gears and chains are super cheap and easy to swap back and forth. Basically, this bike will be an overpowered showboat/eye candy. If I install a 34-toothed first gear, a single Toyota 47R is more than enough for the steepest hills and street use.

Last edited:
I figured out how I'm gonna mount my engines in a "V-twin" position.
Two 1/2" x 1/2" x 18" angle iron brackets will be sandwiching the seat tube and downtube and bolted to each other, not the bike's tube.
They mount 5" above and perpendicular to the bike"s bottom bracket.
I have offset pedal arms to clear both engines by at least 1/2".
Bolted atop that will be a 12" X 5" X 1/4" aluminum plate.
Bolted onto that plate will be another one, measuring 9" X 5" X 1/4".
Welded in the center of the 9" plate will be two 5" x 5" x 1/2" aluminum plates, positioned at a 90-degree angle to form a triangle (The thick plates will be threaded for 9mm mounting studs).
Now comes the hard part. There are six mounting bosses on the bottom of my Tanaka engines. Each pair is "stepped down" to the next pair. In other words, the six mounting bosses aren't on the same level.
Annnd, the mounting bosses aren't drilled for any engine bolts!

Years ago, I bought an engine mount from a pocket bike forum. The 1/8" thick mount sandwiches between each transmission and engine.
I should've bought two mounts; they're no longer in production ANYWHERE!
I'll be sending this engine mount and the aluminum plates to the machine shop to be assembled and duplicated.
So the triangular engine mount bolts onto the bike's flat plate.
Then the engines' steel mounts bolt onto the sides of the aluminum triangle.
The engine mounts' steel plates will be slotted to provide "inward/outward" lateral adjustment. This is because each engine's driven sprockets will be spaced .75" from each other, on the bike's bottom bracket.

It's not difficult to align each chain and sprocket, with adjustable individual engine mounts.

Each engine has their own chain and sprockets, then use the bike's chain and 7-speed cassette.

Mounting each 72-toothed sprockets on the bottom bracket will be a chapter in itself!

Stay tuned. Pics to follow, when I have the engines mounted.

Last edited:
Back