Will these bikes work?

nashe said:
(I think this may be turning into a kind of unhealthy obsession; this board was the last thing I checked before going to bed and the first thing I checked when I woke up. You people and your motored-bikes are addictive! :devilish:)
:LOL: :LOL:

welcome to the club, 'cept i like it because this obsession makes me go outside to play...read,post, go ride, read some more, take a pic, post it, burn dinner, post some more, try a "new" idea/adjustment, ride, post a report, ride some more... :LOL:

i'm a st. louis native (berkeley elementary school, long time ago, don't ask) and spent several years running "fair muffler" in st. charles. yeah, "downtown" st louis comes with a pretty elitist 'tude, no doubt, but if you get west into st charles or st peters, you'll find a whole 'nother world...ever ride the KATY trail? if you haven't, you're missing out on some cool missouri.

btw-this PNW'er would surely host outta town riders...bring it on, hole-y jeans and all :p

let us know what you finally come up with 8)

augidog said:
welcome to the club, 'cept i like it because this obsession makes me go outside to play...read,post, go ride, read some more, take a pic, post it, burn dinner, post some more, try a "new" idea/adjustment, ride, post a report, ride some more... :LOL:

It's been raining for days .. so I'm stuck inside being a nerd. :cool:

augidog said:
but if you get west into st charles or st peters, you'll find a whole 'nother world...ever ride the KATY trail? if you haven't, you're missing out on some cool missouri.

I grew up in St Charles; been riding the Katy Trail for years. :)

Small world, eh?

Hopefully the rain stops before I get my bike and motor. I doubt my landlord (or neighbors) would be very thrilled with me using my apartment as a garage (any more than I all ready do).

Imma' have to go borrow my chum's garage out in the county; so I can cuss and drink beer and toil away on this "crazy project of mine" (that's what these STL folks keep callin' it!) I'll get to feel like a real-deal gearhead .. 'coz I'll be vying for space in there, hunkered down next the gutted-out GTO and all the other junk in Dust's project graveyard. :p :D

Can't wait! :devilish:

Heh--got to vent for a second. Watch out! :mad:

So I lurked on Craigslist for like 2 weeks, eyes peeled for any bike worth the time of day. In fact, I've lurked even longer if you count me just looking at "bikes for bikes" and not "bikes for motored-bikes". Nothin' turned up. Ever--nothin' even close to what I wanted.

Yeah .. I got antsy. Went ahead and dropped some money on a bike over the 'net (one of those purdy ones I liked so much). Yay for me, right? Right?

Oh heck no! :censored:

After ordering the bike .. I go out to a bar with some chums. Hours later I walk (er .. stagger? 8)) home and punch up Craigslist for the heck of it--probably just habit, since I've checked it so much lately.

Lo' and behold: there are two kick-a$$ bikes listed. Not one rad vintage rust-bucket. Two. By two separate sellers. And one of 'em ain't rusty at all, in fact. Both posted within a couple of hours of me giving up on Craig and his stupid list and just ordering through a company.

1219_AWRWSdR0nbGTwH1ULfPAz1njCG4O_1.jpg
1219_JBEaz5P2IXRhKH0RQHkPSCTrVkix_1.jpg

Both less than a hundred bones.

Yeah .. some of y'all told me to wait. Probably should have listened! :p

But oh well. Could probably cancel the 'net order. But if I can throw the cash together tomorrow, I may just grab one or both of the Craigslist bikes too. Can't have too many bikes, I guess. 8)

.. eheh. Sorry. Just hadta vent! :p

STAY AWAY from cheapbeachbikes dot com and 2wheelbikes dot com and beachbikes dot net they have crappy bikes and no customer service bikes will show missing parts frames bent and scrached and the tube pop the tires off the rim as soon as you put air to them they tell you when you do get someone do deal with the shipping co. for refund trust me i've done the internet for the save a buck bike....I rather deal with wal-mart at least you can go back to the store and beat the manager with the bike if he says to you no refund

Yes, you CAN have too many bikes, and within ONE month of getting into this, I had 5....

21_bikes_3425_1.jpg

What gets even worse is when you have to start building and expanding and moving just to keep the collection together. You add 10 feet to the back of the shop, then 4 months later take out the back wall and add 6 more feet.

21_2007_0115canadiangeese0003_2.jpg

I'd cold turkey the Craiglist bikes if I were you and just get the one bike up and running. Because once you start hitting the road, you are going to see OPPORTUNITY for feeding your new obsession/addiction nearly every day. :eek:

Your eyes will constantly scan the "Bikes for Sale" in the want ads. :?

You will start seeing bikes inside carports, sheds and barns as you go along the back roads, start doing dangerous U-turns to see if a price could be placed on the rolling stock.

Bikes will jump out at you in yard sales and flea markets.....

You might get cited for a public disturbance in front of the Super Wal Mart demanding the manager GIVE you the rusting kit and kaboodle at a 90 % markdown, because he can't sell the damn things anyway.

21_bikes_010_1.jpg

The motor is an ice breaker, so at gas stations and resturaunts, old codgers that used to ignore you, will approach with tales of boyhood Whizzers, and of a bike belonging to this prodigal son or that misguided brother in law who only rode it once.....

Just ask Rif how easy it becomes to potentially fill up a pickup truck with worthy bikes within a week or two of puttering around. I mean look, you are already hanging with a dubious crowd on line, some certifiable and self-admitted addicts....

People will see YOU as a person they could GIVE their bikes to, trying to clean their own attics and garages, like feeding candy to a diabetic...... and you look at potential in-laws not as "new relatives" but as "expanded shop area"....

I could go on and on, we all know that.

So, in the words of Barney Fife "Nip it, nip it in the bud !!"

HAHAH! Ohmigod, Bama--that post almost had me in tears. :) :)
It was like an intervention .. or a DARE video from gradeschool: "Beware, children, of the sketchy and desperate underworld that is .. (ominous dun dun dun) MOTORED BIKING!" Complete with photos of the inevitable descent into "madness" that comes with the hobby. :devilish:

But .. in light of your wise post, I'll probably (er .. try my best to) hang tight on the Western Flyer and the Raleigh for now. Even if they're gorgeous and cheap and located real close. And .. AH--somebody smack me. :p

I live in a tiny shotgun apartment; it barely fits the ONE bike I have in here now. I'm all ready usurping somebody else's work-space to put the motored-bike together when all the bits get here. I definitely need to cold-shoulder Craig for a minute or two.

Loco has me kind of shakin' in my boots, though; I hope this bike I got coming isn't a total waste. May soon be "learning experience #2: always make sure the guy you bought your bike from is within pommelling distance." Heheh.

Er--I guess if the beachbikes.net bike rattles apart or something awful, I'll have an excuse to get another bike ..

.. or 20. :)

Nashe,

Copy/pasting an idea, see if you and 3 or 4 others would guinea pig for us.....

How bout this idea for people who come to build their VERY FIRST bike.

Similar to the PICTURE GALLERY. Like Chopper, he's a good sport. He could have come on, known where to get our translation of the instructions, double checked others, and we would have known OIL right off the bat.

For instance, we know at least 5 folks who are about to start. SliceDice, those people waiting for Dax to get to the post office, your ShowMe buddy with the lemon bike in St. Louis......

They could start a thread in MY FIRST BUILD, in the SUBJECT line they put the engine type/vendor. "70 cc "

We can see "who they are" as author of the thread, edit the subject for clarity.

They can post pix ahead of time, get the bugs out of the bike/frame, then we follow them through till they take a ride and holler whoooooo-hoooooooooo..

That way all these loose things that belong to that one bike, can just be added till there, transfered to a whooooooo hooooooo moment, enter in the Bike of the Month contest, take a long trip, etc.

there will be no more expansion right now, if you want to start a project thread, do it, we'll protect it as best we can. period.

Back