will this bike work? newbie question.

malachi boudreaux

Local time
3:47 AM
Good morning everyone,

this is the kit I am going with, already on order, will be here Friday.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/SkyHawk-AngleFire-GT5A-66cc-Bicycle-Engine-Kit.html

and now im looking at bikes, and iv narrowed it down to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Roadmaster-Granite-Peak-Men-s-Bike-Black-Green/45089317

for these reasons.

1) price!
2) 18 speed, help peddle while engine running (MAX SPEED!!!) (not even sure you can do that)
3) frame looks like the right size, tube not too big.
4) wheel brakes.
5) seems light weight.

what do you guys think, should I be fine? im sure with ALL bikes there are some modifications that need to be done.

thanks,

I have never seen one of those bikes in real life but I do know a few things about it just from that page. It is brand new and yet it is extremely unbelievably cheap. That means absolute bottom of the range cheapest components they could find, just enough to roll it out of the store where the Walmart monkeys aka mechanics put it together, just well enough to roll out of the store.

I would look for a used bike instead.

Just an opinion, YMMV.

Hahah just read some of the comments about the bike haha the main bike i use is a 1985 raleigh that i bought for 150 with an engine kit already on it haha i'd go with furry's idea and find a good quality second hand bike.

Last edited:
The bike is junk, don't get it. Search on Craigslist for a decent used bike. Even a Huffy Cranbrook will work, though you will need to figure out a way to add front brakes. Never motorize a bike without front brakes. They are where 90% of you stopping power come from. Roadmaster bikes are absolute junk. My daughter, who was 23 at the time (couple years ago) managed to destroy a brand new one in 2 weeks using it as a pedal bike. Stay away from the Target Magna brand as well. First decide if you want a cruiser or a mountain bike. A cruiser is a lot more comfortable, though I have put a cruiser seat and bars on a mountain bike frame for comfort. If looks don't matter that much, look for an older Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. steel framed mountain bike and fix it the way you want it. It needs to be steel, with smaller diameter ROUND frame tubes.

As for the engine kit, to do it right, you are going to need a couple of expensive things that don't come with that kit to do the job right. You are going to need a clamshell rear sprocket and mount, and you are going to need an engine mounted spring loaded chain tensioner. The junk rear sprocket and rag joint mount, and chainstay mounted "tensioner" will get you killed.

This is the chain tensioner you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...6b531cc3:m:m-b3lt30KT8w_ql7lB4QDvw&rmvSB=true

This is the rear sprocket and mount you will need. http://www.pistonbikes.com/Motorized-bicycle-sprocket-adapter-for-rear-wheel-p/pssas.htm

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What would happen if you only used a rear brake only bike?
Skids. Triple the stopping distance IF you have control enough to avoid the skid, but at twice the speed of a pedal bike, on a public road, in varying weather, and the surprise of a car/truck suddenly in your path: don't expect much more than a big skid followed by your death.

Sorry to be blunt. :)

You can go with back breaks alone but it's not recommended for breaking power, I strongly suggest both back & front breaks. The motor you selected is great in my opinion, I have the exact same one with no problems to speak of. I did some minor upgrades prior to my build. JunkyardDog mentioned the sprocket adaptor & chain tensioner for upgrades, I agree with both and I've purchased the same sprocket adaptor he suggested (just so you know I got mine for about half of the price listed on that link) and its been great. The chain tensioner is also highly recommend, I say this not because I have one but becuse I don't have one but now know I definitely need one. Your bike is junk, Walmart has better options for a slightly higher price, it'd be worth saving up and buying a bike of better quality.

Skids. Triple the stopping distance IF you have control enough to avoid the skid, but at twice the speed of a pedal bike, on a public road, in varying weather, and the surprise of a car/truck suddenly in your path: don't expect much more than a big skid followed by your death.

Sorry to be blunt. :)
Lol thanks will order double brake. It's just that the bike hear control is physically part of the braking lever so to replace lever would mean loss of gear control. Would that be a problem?

Lol thanks will order double brake. It's just that the bike hear control is physically part of the braking lever so to replace lever would mean loss of gear control. Would that be a problem?
Yes it would. Plan for an engine failure!
Just get a used one off fleabay. I mean a separate gear shifter OR a separate brake lever for the front brake. (I personally don't approve of using the dual pull tricycle brake levers on the f+r of a bicycle, lol)

Good morning everyone,

this is the kit I am going with, already on order, will be here Friday.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/SkyHawk-AngleFire-GT5A-66cc-Bicycle-Engine-Kit.html

and now im looking at bikes, and iv narrowed it down to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Roadmaster-Granite-Peak-Men-s-Bike-Black-Green/45089317

for these reasons.

1) price!
2) 18 speed, help peddle while engine running (MAX SPEED!!!) (not even sure you can do that)
3) frame looks like the right size, tube not too big.
4) wheel brakes.
5) seems light weight.

what do you guys think, should I be fine? im sure with ALL bikes there are some modifications that need to be done.

thanks,
Be careful with mountain bikes from Wal-Mart. They are often pieces of crap. As for peddling while the engine is going a single speed will peddle just fine at top speed

Back