will this bike work? newbie question.

In still say that particular bike is junk. Even Walmart has much better bikes. It looks like the frame tubes are more flat than round. I still prefer a Craigslist bike or many bike shops have used bikes for sale. Here in Phoenix, there are a couple of bike shops that sell real bikes for very reasonable prices. They may not be fancy, but they are in good working order. They go over them before they sell them. They don't sell Walmart bikes. Before buying a bike, actually go look it over. It must have round frame tubes for the engine mounting, and I would highly recommend front brakes.

Yes it would. Plan for an engine failure!
Just get a used one off fleabay. I mean a separate gear shifter OR a separate brake lever for the front brake. (I personally don't approve of using the dual pull tricycle brake levers on the f+r of a bicycle, lol)
How would it cause engine failure? I'm a newbie just curious.

That bike with no front brakes will kill you. Any bike with no front brakes is dangerous. Back brakes are mainly for balance. As a motorbike rider I know u could not ride my bike on back brakes alone. Hence on older/cheap bikes only front is disk whilst rear is drum.

In have ridden many motorcycles with drum front brakes, and they worked just fine. My 1966 Triumph Bonneville with a front drum actually did just as well as my 2013 Royal Enfield with a disc. The main benefit I have found to a disc brake is that it is easier to change pads. My 1964 Ford Fairlane has 4 wheel non power drums, and works fine. It is true that the rear brake on a motorcycle is for fine tuning your braking, not for stopping. You can get away with a rear only brake on a cruiser only if going very slow, which is how cruisers are generally ridden. Add a motor and that changes. You absolutely have to have a front brake on a motorized bicycle, but it certainly does not have to be a disc. Any type of rim brake will work, I believe V brakes work better.

Back