will this setup work?

masterx1234

Local time
6:11 AM
ok im gonna build a friction drive and im wondering if this setup will perform well, has anyone els used this motor with tjhis kit?, how well does it perform? image is below and attached

eeeee.jpg

BMP has a great kit; I've purchased two of them. With that large displacement you could do well with the 1.5" urethane roller. If you have hills and don't mind the slower speed, the 1.25" roller would be good.

BMP friction drive kit is on sale for $129, which is a bargain.

I agree that the BMP kit is solid, the engine should be fine. You don't say what part of the country you're from; if you get a lot of rain, you'll need to be careful when the road gets wet. (Friction drives tend to slip when the tire gets wet; you have to have a light touch on the throttle then,) and pay attention to the tire pressure/roller pressure.

The only issue I have with the 2-stroke is the need to pre-mix the gas/oil. It's just much more convenient to pull into a pump and "fill 'er up" when using a 4-stroke away from home.

I bought the complete friction drive kit from Staton, but next time i will probably go with BMP; increases your motor options, probably lets you replace the roller assembly more easily.

I have both kits. One is an absolute bear to replace the bearings. I usually end up at the machine shop paying the guy $80 after waiting all day.

The other kit is MUCH MUCH easier to replace the bearings. They are a slipfit into the drive housing and onto the driveshaft.

With the engine out, I can hold my breath and remove both bearings, collars and driveshaft before I run outa air.:giggle:

FWIW, Staton friction rollers are interchangeable with BMP kit. Simply replace the clutch drum, spacer, bearings and roller. Lightly sand the spindles to convert it from pressfit to slipfit, then install. The only thing you have to fab is a strap to retain the outer bearing from falling out.

Ask me how I know that the bearing can fall out at 35mph!:whistle:

Back